Chapter seven

"And then she said something about how she'd rather eat shit and die than go out with him," Spencer explains. 

"Man, poor Scotty," Ryan says, shaking his head as the two continue to work on homework. Dallon begins to walk downstairs.

"I know, right? Anyway, how's... your living situation?" Spencer whispers. Ryan looks around cautiously, but neither see him. Dallon stops to listen.

"It's terrifying. I've... I've lived all my life on edge, and I would be able to relax just a little bit when we were at your house or out of town or here. Still, even if we went away, a little part of me thought that Dallon might just show up."

"I'd be scared too. I mean, I'm already scared for you, I can't imagine what it feels like having the one person you fear the most be living with you for a few days."

"I'm just scared of him finding something out. Remember that one time when we went to the beach and someone overheard me telling you I was gay and told it to everyone on the beach including my parents? And how I was beaten up 4 times in two hours?"

Dallon freezes completely. Ryan's gay? He always called him names and teased him for things like that even thought he knew it wasn't true, but he now knows the truth and it kinda hurts him.

"What about it?"

"Do you even realize what would happen if Dallon found out I way gay? He'd probably kill me. No, no, he'll tell the whole school. No, the whole town, and then everyone will hate me so much that I'll shoot myself. I can not let him know I'm gay. It'll kill me," Ryan says, sounding so genuinely scared. Dallon frowns a little. That does sound like him, but he doesn't even want to do someone as simple as confronting him. He won't say a word, which confuses him. 

"Either way, I'm glad you're gonna go to school tomorrow," Spencer says, and Ryan nods. 

"I am too."

"Listen, when we get to school, no one, I repeat, no one is going to hear a fucking thing about us being together, got it?" Dallon says as he fixes his hair in the mirror. 

"You make it sound like we're dating when you say it like that," Ryan says tying his shoe. Dallon's face heats up and he barely kicks his hand. Ryan winces quietly. 

"Like I'd date you," Dallon says, scoffing.

"You say that as if I'd ever be interested in someone like you," Ryan tells him, standing up, both of their hearts sinking a bit. Dallon pushes him against the wall. Ryan struggles, but it's no use. He begins to think of what Spencer says.

"You're just so fucking annoying, you know that? You're so lucky that we're at your house, or I'd be-" Ryan cuts him off by leaping forward and crashing his lips against Dallon's. Chills run up both of their spines and they both stop for a second. Ryan snaps out of it very quickly, pushing against Dallon's almost nonexistent grip. He grabs his books and bolts out of the house, hurriedly running to school.

Dallon stands in shock, lips tingling and heart pounding. He almost kissed back, that's the thing that's fucking him up. Ryan Ross kissed him in attempt to escape him, and Dallon almost kissed him back.

"Oh, shit," Dallon says when he realizes what just happened.

"Hey, what happened?" Spencer asks as Ryan catches up. 

"Just... Dallon, you know? Didn't wanna be alone anymore," Ryan lies, and Spencer nods. 

"I get it. But hey, at least we don't have to worry about him for the most of the day." Spencer then goes on about how he came up with a new route around the school to get to their classes so they can avoid Dallon's path. Ryan just nods along. When they get to their lockers, still talking, Ryan tenses when he sees Dallon walk in. Chills run up his spine, and he forces himself to focus on his locker and Spencer. 

Dallon glances over, unintentionally looking Ryan up and down twice, then finds Brendon and Mikey while forcing a smirk.