•The Unknown•

'I didn't know I had the courage to do this...'

The forest stood silent in the caressing light of the moon; the only sound was the oimovement of a light summer breeze through the tree tops some distance above.
Darkness consumed her as she began to creep forwards between the towers of bark and leaves, growing further and further away from the protection of the moon's gaze. Something rustled the bushes up ahead.
"Stop! Please?" She cried as she rushed to pursue the creature. The ground crunched beneath her feet as she hurled herself through the forest, blindly dodging tree after tree as they moved faster and faster beside her.

Laughter erupted around her as she fell to the floor, unable to stay upright. They had been playing for hours in the forest: dancing around tree trunks and rolling around in the meadow clearings.
But, much to their dismay, it was time for the girl to depart.
"When will I see you again?" The being questioned her once again.
"I'm not sure but I hope it will be very soon," she smiled and asked, "May I call you Rose?"
The creature looked at the girl, a mask of confusion upon it's face. It had never had a name before... or a need for one.
"Very well. However, if I am to be Rose then you will be Lily, okay?" The uncertainty clear in it's voice.
"Okay"
Lily and Rose smiled to themselves before they embraced and then parted ways. Rose wondered deeper into the forest as Lily grew closer to the beyond their leafy fortress.

The playground of her childhood had grown cold and lifeless much like the dreams she had once had about the place. Her pace had slowed considerably during her subconscious drift. As she snapped back to reality, the hazy world around her fell into focus. Gathering up the skirt of her dress, the young lady staggered forwards through the shrubs and undergrowth, calling out to the creature.
"Please stop? Rose- if that's you please don't run from me... I'm your friend." With the plea evident in her sombre tone, as well as the words she spoke, the creature stopped.
In that moment, the woman felt a hint of fleeting hope. Maybe, just maybe, she could do what she had truly come here for.Then the figure began to turn towards her.
"No!" The creature stopped, "Don't make this any harder for me Rose... Please. You-you know I don't want this to happen any more than I do but I-I have to."
Guilt saturated her already tear stained voice. She was she was edging closer and closer to the being before her. Now only a few steps away from her, the creature gasped out a cry for help.
"Please don't hurt me. I need you, Lily!" As the whimpers reached her ears Lily's heart shattered like glass in her chest.
The rush of emotions caused her gut instinct to kick in and she continued forward, abandoning her humanity in her wake.

There was no turning back now.

The distance between them became less and less by the second as Lily advanced on Rose with a merciless mask upon her face.
"Forget what I said before, Rose! Look me in the eye! I want to see your face one last time." Lily demanded, her voice travelling for miles in the soundless night. Rose did as she was commanded; this was, by far, the worst mistake she had ever made.

As her old friend turned to face her, Lily removed an object, made of glinting metal, from her skirt pocket.
She pointed the gun at Rose.
Tears filled her eyes as her finger force the trigger down.
The terrific sound echoed through the clearing, intensifying the deafening silence that followed.

Rose's face was at war with emotions; sorrow and betrayal clawed at her warped features. Lily watched as the light left the once brilliant blue eyes of her now deceased friend. The only sound came from the guilty weeping of a murderer and the crunch of leaves as the weapon hit the Earth.
Lily soon followed as her knees buckled beneath her and she came crashing down.

An almost inaudible whisper escaped the lips of the once innocently happy girl; "Why did I have the courage to do this?"

--------------------
Hey readers,

So this is the first short story. I hope you liked it and if you could leave a comment (either good or bad) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawnne x