Prologue

"The house is on fire! The house is on fire!"

These were the words Sunny heard as he saw flames devouring his childhood home. And he understood then what being powerless felt like. He couldn't help anyone, he couldn't move: his feet were stuck to the floor, paralyzed with fear, as stiff as metal.

He had already been outside, waiting for his adopted brother who supposedly had 'found something interesting'. Already fire services were here and trying to put out the flames that were eating away at the wood. But Racer and his parents were still inside. Still in there with the fire.

There was shouting and screaming and the smell of smoke was overwhelming. The Nepolian thought he was going to pass out. And there was a new smell that made him sick; the smell of burnt flesh. A maid had come leaping out of a window high up in a desperate attempt to escape the flames. She had miraculously survived the fall, but her left arm was burnt beyond repair, what skin was visible was black with ash and most likely was also burnt. And there were several still bodies of servants who had unfortunately not survived: their charred black bodies forever burned in his mind, haunting his dreams for years to come, like a ghost.

Then there came the sound of smashing glass and shouting as creatures of all shapes and sizes ran rushing toward the sound, and Racer, Sunny's adopted brother, burst from a window on the bottom floor. He was coughing violently, his eyes wet and red, but he seemed unharmed. Sunny's focus went to his claws, which were holding a cloudy blue shiny helmet. A helmet that was all too familiar. And Sunny understood before the words were out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry." Racer said between coughs and gasps for breath, tears pricking at his eyes. "I... I was- *cough* too...  late."

Sunny's parents were dead.