Act 5: The Reveal

Yesterday there was serenity in Prince Hawk's bedchambers. Or at least, things were folded. This morning, as the cries ring out for the protection of fairies and the bidding of a new day, clothes are strewn everywhere throughout the room. It looks as though a fight might have taken place, save for the two men huddled together in the bed.

Daph enters and gives a few coughs to try and rouse Hawk and Marcus to no effect. He sighs before poking his face into the privacy curtain.

"Sir, it's time to get up."

Hawk awakens first as Marcus starts to stir a little. "Daph, good morning. This is- my date from the ball- Marcus-" he says with a little groan.

"Good morning. Pleasure to meet you. Breakfast is ready downstairs unless you'd care to take it here."

"I should go," Marcus says, while trying to make sure he's modestly covered by the bed sheet.

Hawk gives Marcus' arm a squeeze in hopes of settling down the younger man, who is already looking for his clothing.

"No- you don't- umm what I mean is that it's probably difficult to get out of here in the morning. Lots going on. No way to just- sneak off. If that's what you want to do."

"Was this part of your plan?"

"No, I guess I just got a little carried away. Washroom is over there if you really want to-" Marcus is already halfway to the wash room before Hawk can finish the sentence. "- get ready." Hawk sighs and finishes stretching his back. He's slow moving, as though he's trying to piece together the events of last night correctly so he doesn't miss anything.

"Sir, you're officially on the morning of your thirtieth birthday."

"I am, aren't I?" Hawk says thoughtfully and looking up at Daph expectantly, as though Daph might know exactly what's going to happen.

Hawk waves his hand around once or twice. Nothing magical happens.

"Less exciting than is to be believed," Hawk observes.

Third returns from the bathroom, at least slightly dignified in his party clothes. "Oh. No magic?"

Hawk shrugs. "Not yet. Listen- its silly sneaking about. We're grownups right?"

"But your parents are the king and queen and I'm-"

Hawk's door opens with a bang and a flourish of smoke, Marceline entering the room. "Your majesty. Baker's boy."

Hawk finds something to wrap around himself so that he can now get dressed. "A little early to be patronized by the Guard, isn't it?" 

"This isn't a social call, lover. Why don't we all sit down and have a bite to eat together. The knight, the prince, the lover, and - him." Marceline says, sneering a little at Daph as a finishing flourish.

"I should go-" Third says.

"Can't imagine where you'd have to go to. I heard giants squished your bakery flat last night. Of course, giants can't get in without an invitation. Or unless somebody leaves the gate open. Such a strange and unfortunate thing."

"Uncle Marcus-" Third cries out, running out of the room.

Hawk attempts to follow, half dressed but Marceline's words stop him. "Oh, let the peasant go. You're only going to make things worse. I am surprised at you Prince Hawk. Well, no, surprised isn't the right word exactly. Sad, maybe. We could've made quite a nice pair without the potion. But now- it is what it is. I'm the kind of girl who can roll with the punches."

"You let giants attack his family's home. Are you a six year old?" Hawk advances while Marceline picks out some fruit from the bowl on the table aimlessly. "No, that's an insult to children."