The Nutcracker

A one shot inspired by "Nutcracker" from Straight No Chaser

Disclaimer: I actually love The Nutcracker, but that song is actually funny. And somehow I thought Mal would react the same way to the ballet.

Time: After Descendants 3, 20 before A Journey into the Past

Mal twirled her engagement ring. It has been a few months since Ben proposed, and they were both very busy planning the wedding, which was set to take place on the anniversary that they met. However, Ben had just called saying that he had a Christmas surprise for Mal. How he had managed to do that, she had no clue, as she hadn't found the time to go Christmas shopping.

Just then, a knock at the door interrupted her from her thoughts. "Come in."

The door open, and her fiancé walked in. "Hey Mal." he said, wrapping his arms around her.

"Hey Ben," she said as she hugged Ben back. "Everything okay?"

Ben nodded. "Yeah, I just have a surprise for you. Well, an early Christmas present really."

"Oh?" She tilted tilted her head, wondering what it could be.

He smiled. "Tickets to see The Nutcracker."

Mal's eyes widened. Did she just hear that right? "What?"

"I know, right?" We are going to see the classic Christmas ballet together." Ben must've noticed Mal's wide eyes, because them he raised an eyebrow. "You okay?"

Mal quickly nodded. "Yeah, I just thought you said something else. Look, I have a lot of work to do, Lady of the Court you know, but I'll see you at dinner, okay?" As part of being Lady of the Court, she had gotten her own room at the castle after she graduated.

"Alright then." Ben kissed Mal's forehead, then walked out of the room, leaving Mal to start thinking about how she could get herself out of this situation.

Later on, Mal heard a knock at the door again, except this time, she knew who it was. "Come in Evie." When Mal couldn't think of a good reason to not go to The Nutcrackerwith Ben, she decided to call Evie to help her out.

"Hey Mal," Evie said as she walked in. "What's going on?"

Mal whirled around, wearing an expression akin to the one she had when Ben asked her out on their first date. "Ben's taking me to..." She shivered. "... The Nutcracker." Mal had tried to think of any way she could weasel herself out of it. She could say that she had too much work to do, but Ben would probably work his butt off to get his work done so that he could take her to The Nutcracker, and it wouldn't seem fair. She could pretend to be sick, but he would see through her in a second.

Evie, however, smiled brightly. "Mal, that's wonderful! Why are you so upset about it?"

Mal resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "E, you know that I've never been into ballet. There's just something about people in tutus that drives me up the wall. I've also looked it up, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Mouse King is even scary than my mother."

Evie's mouth opened a little, indicating that she got the point. "Why don't you just tell him the truth, M?"

Mal sighed. Sometimes, it seemed like Evie didn't get it. "Evie, you don't understand. This is out first Christmas, and probably only Christmas, as an engaged couple, and next year, we'll be married, and I'll be queen. If I don't like, or at least tolerate what he likes, what will that say?"

Evie sighed. "Mal, I'm pretty sure..."

However , Mal interrupted her. "And besides, Ben seems so excited about this. I just don't want to let him down."