Chapter 15- A Choice

"Angie! Let me in!"

German continued to knock on my door and continued to ask me to let him in. But I didn't want to speak to anyone.

"If you're not going to let me in, then I'm going to talk to you from out here. Angie, the day María died was the saddest day of my life, and I never thought I would find anyone else. Then one day, I decided to come back home, and I admit, I was scared, I was scared to bring back the past. And then, a woman showed up on my doorstep and when I saw her smile, I knew that I was right to come home. Everyday she would cheer me up and make me feel loved even if she didn't know it. Then I found out that she wasn't who I thought she was, and I panicked, I still loved her, but I had always blamed her family for my wife's death, so I didn't know what to do. Then like a coward I decided to run away, but I blamed my daughter. If it wasn't for that woman, I would have left forever and lost my daughter forever. Instead of admitting my feelings, I made lots of choices that hurt her more than I thought I ever could. So much that I almost lost her for good. And when she came back, she was not the same. And I hurt every time I saw her. Because she was never the same woman she was before. And I can't help but feel that it is all my fault. And I want to tell that woman one thing. I love you Angie and I'm sorry."

A tear rolled down my cheek followed by more and more. I wanted to open the door and tell him that I love him, and this was not his fault. But I couldn't. I don't know why and I don't know what was stopping me.

"Angie? Don't you have anything to say?"

I wanted so badly to say something, but it was almost as if my mouth was sewn shut, because I didn't say a word.

"Angie?"

I knew this was probably my one chance to say something, and that it was the perfect moment, but I didn't know how.

Every time I thought of the right thing to say, I remembered the voice I heard in the message. And I couldn't do anything but think of her right now, because at the end of the day, I had to make a decision. Him or her.

But he decided for me, because I heard his footsteps walking away from my door.