Change (Niall Horan/One Direction FanFiction)

“Miss. Jones, what are you doing?” I heard my professor’s voice come from above my head.

            “Um, I’m adding some color.” I said, turning my head so I could see her and her evil-librarian glasses.

            “The design was supposed to be ultra-modern, Miss. Jones. Ultra-modern does not mean ‘rainbow colorful fairy land’ this is a design for a young entrepreneur new to New York. Not a six year old.” The monotone voice of Professor Rodgers droned on. I sighed, I knew that I shouldn’t have added the colors to the design, but I couldn’t help it. I liked to design rooms that were bright and that would make you happy by being in it. The décor and furniture was still modern, but I had used my colored pencils to add blue, orange and pink to the throw pillows. It wasn’t really that big of a deal to most people, but to Professor Rodgers I would have to draw out the design all over again.

            “You will have to re-draw this and bring it back tomorrow along with the rest of your homework.” I sighed. I was right. No way would I get away with that in this class. “Remember!” The professor raised her voice, “Your drawings for the country oasis house are due Monday! Now you may leave.”

            There was movement and papers shuffling while the students all filed out of the large room. I just sat there and stared at the paper laying in front of me with my pencils scattered on the table. I was frustrated with myself to say the least. I didn’t have room to mess up on this opportunity; it was crazy that I was even here in the first place. If it hadn’t been for my grandparents I wouldn’t have been able to be here in New York learning to be an expert interior designer. “Aw don’t let Rodgers get in your head!” I heard the high male voice come from behind me.

            “I’m not, Brandon.” I sighed, finally putting my papers in my folders and shoving them in my satchel bag and standing up.

            “Well, then don’t let yourself get to your head, Gabrielle!” he exclaimed. Following behind me as I exited the room, it was my last class of the day and all I wanted to do was go back to my dorm and sleep until noon. But of course that was impossible seeing as I had to study and then work the late shift tonight.

            “Don’t worry, Bran. I can handle myself,” I reassured him, “but I’m not so sure about you. I mean, you’ve been studying quite a bit lately. Is there a boy?” I teased, I knew he had a crush on a boy he saw often at the library.

            “Psh. No.” he said, “Maybe I’m taking after you more and working myself to death.”

            “I have to do well, Brandon-“

            He cut me off saying, “Because I cant let my Papa and Gigi down. They helped pay for me to get here, blah blah blah.”

            I gave him a look, and stepped around a black haired boy who was standing in the middle of the side walk staring at a sheet of paper as though it may eat him. “Brandon, I cant help it that I didn’t have enough scholarship, okay?”

            He sighed, “Yeah I know, but have a little fun, please?” We were about to leave the small campus of New York School Of Interior Design (A/N: this is the school I actually want to go to :3) and enter onto the streets of New York.

            “I have fun all the time!” I protested, walking through the gate and onto the dirty sidewalk.

            “You do not, Gabrielle.”

            “Yes I do!”

            “G, when was the last time you went to see a movie in theaters?” he said pointedly, clutching his light gray jacket closer to himself, and tightening the strap on his bag full of books.