PART OF ME

“All I can remember is my gasping of air. There were men wearing white coats and my mom calling my dad. It’s as if I was floating up and about the air. It felt like lying on the bed that I was used to. But wait, I think I forgot one tiny detail…

          Hi! My name is Athena. I was diagnosed with a heart failure when I was just seven. My parents won’t tell me exactly what my doctor’s diagnosis was so I just took it as one of our hide-and-seek kind of games. We live in Princeton, New Jersey. My dad was chosen to be the company’s representative agent in one of their seminars; and before we knew it, our family migrated there. But due to high bills and payments, we decided to head back to the Philippines to live for good. Compared to the life abroad, life here was just simple. Although I have tons of friends back from where I came from, it’s the total opposite here.

          Dad sent me to a prestigious school in Batangas, our hometown. I became the school’s main gossip, or should I say talked-about-star, not because I’m popular, but because they find me weird. Different, to cut the story short. Dragging myself out the crowd is one way or another to instill peace of mind. And so having friends was not included on my agenda. Sigh. Who am I kidding? It’s hard to fit in a world of total mess. Especially when you’ve got only yourself to consult the resentment. Until one rainy Saturday..

          “Hey there, I’m Polo. You are?,” a man behind me uttered. I was in a deep shock for a moment before I could respond.

          “I think you’re mistaken. Why are you even talking to me?,” I said while trying to catch my breath.

          “Pardon?,’’ the stranger said. “I have not met a girl as rude as you. I’m trying to befriend you but never mind.”

          Silence.

          What else did I expect for him to react? I honestly didn’t know what to make of the entire scene. I just paved my way back home. I cared no more. When I got home, I did my daily routine. Turned the music on my iPod, went to bed to catch some sleep. Morning came and I started to fix myself for school. As expected, no one’s home already, like always. I locked the door, took my med, and walked to school. It was only three blocks away so I took the opportunity to exercise myself at the same time. With so much time to kill, I decided to sit on a bench around the corner to read my favourite novel. In a matter of minutes, mom called to say something important.

          “Athena?,” your aunts and uncles are here. Will you join us for dinner?,” mom stated with an assuming voice.

          I yawned the usual, “Do I have a choice? Be there in a bit. Bye, mom.”

          Way back home was insanely tiring. I felt like having a fever so I stopped and sat at an alley.

          “I think you could use some help,” a familiar voice spoke.

          As expected of me, I refused to seek help. “Then leave – I won’t help you anymore,” I can still remember that line of him. It sounded a bit like a threat.

          “I’m sorry for what had happened few days ago. I’m Athena. I live two blocks away from here. Could you please give me a hitch?”

          Sounding a bit relieved, “Okay then, climb in.”

          A crowd was beginning to gather when I got home. Mom was so worried she even hugged me when she saw  me. We exchanged eye-rolling looks as she glanced over the man behind me. Dad walked towards the exit arch. Mom retorted, “Well, I’m certainly not going to stand there all night. Come in, big boy.”

          Wait. What? Oh no, snap it! Mom’s quite in a good mood. Dad, too. Whatsoever. This is kind of a big deal. They might think he’s courting me. Geez.

          After the meal, I took on the task of escorting my guest onthe door. When we got close to the objective, I told him I owe him one and that I am indeed grateful for his help. He just smiled and went away. I’d better be rested because tomorrow would be another stressful day. Hit the sheets. Dimmed the lights. Shut my eyes.

          “Whoa. You’re also studying here?,” I and Polo took turns explaining.

          “Guilty. I’m Apollo, by the way. Athena right?,” There was something about him that I just couldn’t pinpoint. Yet little did I know that our names match..

          “Cool,” I said, eyeing him suspiciously. “Okay, I guess I have my first newfound friend.”

          Months passed. Polo and I managed to cobble together our interests and tunes. Sometimes people would say we clearly make a good pair. We would just laugh and welcome new accomplishments. The two of us still sounded nothing until one day, he finally asked me to be his girl while we were driving our way to our favourite place. I didn’t bother fussing over, I gladly said yes. But after that, everything went blackout.

          Faced with an unacceptable situation, I just thought my sickness as a gift. Neither of my parents had enough money to pay for my medication. I doubt the two of them have nearly enough savings combined. I knew to myself I was to undergo a morse pain. A really painful one.

          After a week of IVs, tests and results, I was set to go. But I can still remember my gasping of air. Those men wearing white coats. Mom calling out dad. I was floating up and about the thin air. It didn’t feel like lying on a mattress, it’s as if I was lying on my bed. Oh yeah, I remembered something. Where’s Apollo? Where is my Polo?

          Suddenly, a letter on my right side caught my attention. And so I read it.

          “A car accident happened the moment you said yes to me. I was the one to survive because your heart was not that strong to endure the pain. I was all alone but you made me feel like I was the luckiest of man to have you.  You were in a state of coma for a while. They didn’t know where to find a donor, but I did. So now, I will always be a part of you. Take care of my heart, my dear. For I’ve left a piece of me with you.”