Chapter Two

He tilts his head like he's confused by the emotions rather obviously playing across my face; I've never been one for hiding my emotions or having a poker face.

"Why're you sad? I'm powerful now, aren't I? I'm better now, aren't I? I was half-paralyzed before InGen gave me a purpose, and I'm not wasting it now."

He smiles mirthlessly.

"Plus dear old mom and dad would've given me over to InGen even if I hadn't wanted this;just because I'm bi."

My heart hurts for him. I came out as trans to my parents and their response was to sign me up for InGen's program here. At least now I'm actually the boy I should've been born as; even if I am a genetic freak. 

He swims around for a bit, exploring, and I trail after him. I know there's prolly a few nighttime guests here, watching us swim lazily past the massive glass walls, and I wonder if any of them are people I know.

One face stands out to me. It's my little brother, and my mom and my dad and even my older sister who was in the army when I was sent to InGen.

I swim over to the glass, and it's clear from the looks on their faces that they recognize me even like this; my brother bursts into tears and my mother unkindly shushes him while my father wilts under a verbal assault from my sister; his fury plain even though I cannot hear him through the thick glass.

I feel tears pricking my eyes, so I swim away as fast as I can. Sinking down into the middle of my enclosure, I put my head in my hands and cry. It hurts, seeing how furious my sister was and how cold my mother was. 

Arms wrap around my shoulders, a warm body close to mine in the icy water. It's the shark hybrid, but then again who else would comfort a Mosa like me.....Mosa....that'll be my new name now.

He runs a hand through my hair, gently; and twines his tail with mine.

"I know how badly it hurts to be treated like that and to know that somewhere, someplace, your own parents and siblings are going through their lives without you. I know."

I turn, away from the glass wall of the enclosure that is still visible dimly through the murky water, and rest my head on his shoulder. I can feel how his body is shaking too, and I know without knowing that he's crying too.

I close my eyes, and after a moment he calms down and begins humming a song I know.

"Bluebird, don't sing that song, no one wants to sing along, we're all so scared of dying. Bluebird, don't fly too far, I won't know where you are when I get so scared of dying."

I drift off with my tail still resting over his, my arms around him and my head on his chest.