Sunflowers

She stood alone. The growth of sunflowers kissed her knees, butterflies fluttered mindlessly. It would seem peaceful, a gentle breeze swaying the hem of her dress as if she were brushed by the wing of a moth. The sun caressed the far away hills, casting golden light amongst the sunflower fields.

Peaceful to the outside world.

To the girl, this beautiful evening spoke. Not kindly, but in a raspy voice filled with malice. 'The end.' it called over and over, echoing through her mind, vibrating deep into her soul. It screamed those words, wailed, thrashed. Shown only with the contorted pain on her delicate face.

Angry hot tears, pooling on the petals of the picked sunflower, held limp in her hand. In her head, the demons pounded. Wrapping their bloodied, spiny fingers around her throat, laughing hysterically as she choked silently.

Not a human around.

No one to help her.

Trapped.

Fingers wrapped loosely around a damp sunflower, now tightened. Her body now rigid.

She was dying.

Killing her, the demons that swayed her to the golden fields in the first place. The demons would not let go, screaming grotesque, wicked words into her sickened mind.

Is this hell? She thought, standing amongst the sunflowers. Knuckles turned white in one desperate attempt to secure herself to the reality around her, to the sunset at the west, and the stalks of green and yellow that kissed her knees so gently. To the tear soaked sunflower, quivering against her twitching palm.

Sanity slipped, as breath no longer came and the demons' grips held ever tighter. With one last desperate gasp-

The sunflower fell.