A Turn For The Worst

So this is a short story I wrote for an english assignment, its nothing special and i am definitely not a writer but i though i would post it anyway! :) enjoy and let me know what you think? 

I wish it never happened; it was a turn for the worse. I wonder what it would have been like to be a normal teenager, to have a boyfriend, to get my licence, to enjoy life to the fullest. Looks can be so deceiving you know, no one would have known. It was hidden so well under smiles and lies. I realise now that I didn’t really want to leave, it was an impulsive decision that never should have happened. I was depressed, angry and isolated – but I shouldn’t have done it.

My name is Madison, but everyone called me Maddie. I lived in California with my mum Sandy and dad Paul, I was their only child. At school I was very popular, always invited to the big parties, got along with everyone and I had a very bubbly personality. My life seemed perfect to the people around me, but little did they know what was going on behind closed doors. My family life was far from ‘perfect’. To my mother I was a failure, and to my dad I was a waste of his time which was the perfect excuse to hit me. I was the reason my family was falling apart, I was the reason they fought so much. The resentment I had towards my parents was immeasurable, I hated them! Usually the fights we had were small and over stupid things like not turning a light off, coming home late from parties or talking back to them.

This one particular day was the by far the worst I had seen of them. As I walked through the creaky door to my home from what was a normal day at school I was interrupted by a loud BANG coming from the back of the house followed by a deep voice repeating the words ‘“it’s all your fault”’ over and over. Its stopped me in my tracks, my mind filling with all kinds of thoughts... what did I do now? I took slow precise steps down the dimmed corridor, being overly cautious about the placement of my feet. As I took my final step to the corner of the corridor, the wooden floorboard creaked and all eyes were on me. “And what the hell are you doing here?” my father exclaimed rather ferociously. It sent shivers down my spine. “I...I.. was just-“ he didn’t let me finish. Fear rushed over me as he stepped my way, I knew what was coming for me; it was only a matter of time. As he attempted to continue his outburst, mother uncharacteristically attempted to defend me, interrupting trying to diffusing the situation. “NO. She will sit here and explain why this was in her room” he yelled and held up a clear plastic bag with a singular blue pill resting inside. Oh no, he had been in my room! I wondered if he had seen my stash, the thought made my stomach twist into a huge knot and I had the sudden urge to vomit. I had never seen my father this mad. He turned away for a few brief seconds and as he turned back he slapped me across the cheek as he screamed the words “YOU STUPID IDOT!” My face turned a deep crimson colour, and tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn’t speak. This time I couldn’t find a way out of it...

What felt like hours passed and the screaming hadn’t stopped once. At this point I couldn’t take it any longer so I ran up the stairs as fast as I could, I couldn’t have them catch me. My legs were like jelly and I could barely stand but somehow I managed to make it up in time. There was a loud commotion behind me as my parents realised where I was going, I couldn’t dwell on it any longer, and I had to get to my room. As I entered, a cloud of darkness came over the room, what should have been a place of calmness and rest was a cluster of emotions and restlessness. I couldn’t take it any longer! I opened my wardrobe so fast the glass doors rattled, and as I dug through the chaos of clothes and shoes I found it; I found my stash. I picked up the bottles of liquor with a clink, and grabbed hold of the bag of pills. This was it.

The run to the bathroom felt like a marathon. I had to get to a room where no one could touch me, where I could find my escape route. The sun beaming on white walls and tiles blinded me, making it so much harder to concentrate on the task at hand. I scattered my things around the room, shivers ran up my spine, I was freezing. All I wanted was a nice hot shower. I ran the water, undressed myself and carried my stash in with me. As I sat there I thought about my friends, about the fun times that we shared, I wasn’t going to see them again and deep down I didn’t want to. The loud banging on the door from by parents started to fade, sip by sip. And so it began.

I don’t remember much after that, the room was filled with steam, the walls and all my surrounding were blurry. I couldn’t handle the pain and suffering anymore, I wanted to go. I didn’t really feel anything... it was like I was going to sleep. It went black.