Chapter 1: Church Point

Church Point is a suburb city in the middle of Iowa. It's quiet and dull: your stereotypical town in Iowa. There are a few things you can see around the place: there's two schools, a few small businesses here and there, and of course, me. 

My name's Martin Holtz. I recently became a murderer. In other words, one of the cruelest, most heartless human beings on the planet. I never expected that I was gonna take someone's life before, nor did I want to, but it happened anyways.

It all started when I got a girlfriend. Her name was Kate Williams. We had so much in common. We were "the weird type" of kids, we were friends since preschool, and loved to neglect every rule we encountered. We were the rule-breaking nerds of Church Point High and were proud as hell.

On the day of the school dance, I decided to "take it up a notch", so I went to the place we hung out all the time after school and waited for her to come. I saw her walking towards me from the distance. I could feel my sweat trickle down my neck and forehead. With the bravest voice I could muster up, I asked her.

"Do you want to go?"

"Where?" she asked.

"With me," I continued, redder than a pepper, "to the dance or something."

And to my surprise, she said yes, and we went to the dance. Everything went uphill from there. We went out, watched movies, hung out at the library. We were the perfect couple. Of course, there never is such thing as perfect. I wish that I had found out about that sooner.

Once day, we were sitting behind the school when I found out. For a bit, it was peaceful. Wet spring mud and dandelions were scattered all around, swaying through the wind. We were sitting on some broken milk crates, watching the sun set behind the clouds. Then, Kate told me she wanted to run away.

"What? Why?"

"I know it seems real sudden, but I have reasons," she said.

She talked about everything. She talked about the other girls from school, issues with her parents, how nothing happens around town, her future, her past, her overall well-being. She could've gone on and on with reason after reason, so I interrupted her before she did.

"Why would you want to leave?" I asked. It was obviously a stupid question.

We started discussing, which turned into arguing, which turned into yelling until she finally had enough and stormed off. I just stood there, feeling both angry and sad. It was a weird mix of feelings that I've never had before. I couldn't let her go away. What would happen to her? What if she gets hurt- or worse?

I chased after her, determined to change her mind.

I followed her until I was in front of school. She was on her bike and pedalling quickly without hesitation. I ran after her and didn't stop. I must've ran at least half a mile before we reached her house. By then, the only light around were from houses and lamp posts.

Kate got off her bike and noticed me on the sidewalk.

She yelled at me for following her, "Martin, you fucking stalker!"

Without looking back, she stomped into her house. I ran after her and threw the door open. Her parents were at work, assuring me that we were alone in the house. Kate was heading upstairs. I raced after her and grabbed her arm at the top of the staircase.

Kate fought hard. She shook the hand off and headed for the room and grabbed a duffel bag full of her belongings that she prepared in the closet. Knowing that she was preparing to run away for a while now only made me want to keep her here more.

I jumped into the room and pinned her to the ground. Her skin became red with carpet burns while mine became blue with bruises. She eventually pushed me off and hit me with the duffel bag leaving a deep pain in my chest. Even after that, I still followed her.

She was heading back down the stairs and was about the exit through the front door, still propped open. I dashed to the door and slammed it shut. Kate pushed me back and ran to the back door on the other end of the house.

I ran after her, grabbed a large knife from the kitchen while we were still running, and pinned her to the ground. I took the knife and, in a split second, drove it into her chest. Soon, my surroundings were painted red. Blood stained every thread of our clothes.

I held onto the knife tight, as if it meant that Kate would stay here. Tears rained down from my eyes and mixed with the coagulating blood. Time froze as I looked at her corpse. Her blonde hair was thrown onto the floor, her green eyes looked up at me with a chilling stare.

"That's real low of you, Martin."

I looked up and gasped. It was Kate.

-------------------------------------

Oof, this is just a thinkamadoodle of mine. I don't know if it'll become an actual book. Sorry, lmao.