chapter 2

Summer of 1937

Elle sighed while she played with her long, light brown hair. Her blue-green eyes where looking to the ceiling in hopes to find an answer there.

"What are you thinking about Elle?" Asked Steve from her right. Her older brother looked at her curiously. His small frame was propped up against the old, wooden boxes in the attic.

It was their small hide out. A place where nothing mattered but the three of them. Steve was on her right and Bucky was on her left. It's how they have sat for the last 10 or more years. Ever since their father brought her back with him.

"What life will be like in the future." She whispered more to her self than anything. But of course they heard.

"The future you say." Amused Bucky said as he joked about with his hand under his chin, mimicking the actions she would do while in thought.

"I heard that the Stark guy is making flying cars. So we will be able to fly through the sky like birds do." Steve said with interest shining through his eyes. Bucky had the same look on his face after he broke character.

Elle just laughed and pushed their faces away from her own.

'They will never grow up will they' she thought to herself. She loved her connection with the two boys. But even though they are older by two years, she sometimes thinks she's the older one.

"You silly gooses. The only way we will be able to fly is by special boots. And even then Stark will keep them to himself."

"He might be kind enough to share them, you never know." Bucky said looking at her contently.

"I doubt any Stark will care to share anything." She announces to them.

"I have to agree with you there Elle." Bucky said poking her shoulder.

"Would you stop that Buck." She said while swatting his hand away.

"You two are like a old married couple already." Joked Steve while he watched them. He always knew that they had feelings for each other. Even when they where little.

Elle blushed and Bucky looked slightly proud of himself. Elle stared to get up, much too the boys annoyance. She straightended her dress and walked to the attic entrance ready to leave.

"I'm off to make dinner." She announces over her shoulder while she left the attic.

Bucky and Steve still watched the door after she left. Steve turned to Bucky ready to have some fun at his expense.

"You love her." He snickered while dragging out the word love.

He watched as his best friend turned pink. It's the only time anyone can make Bucky blush. Just the mention of her makes him red.

Steve laughed when Bucky turned away from the door to glare at him.

"Don't tell her."

"Don't worry she already knows." He said as he got up, ready to run out the door to escape Bucky's blushing wrath.

"Come back here you little punk!" Bucky yelled chasing the fleeing midget. Their laughter could be heard from any point in their house.

Elle smiled to herself while chopping the carrots.

'they never grow up' she thinks to herself.