3

float

the neighbourhood

she sat in her sunflower cell, humming. 

"you are my sunshine,

my only sunshine"

then, a voice from outside her cell door, one coming from a person she didn't know was there,

the voice, david, she realizes, sings the next part.

"you make me happy

when skies are gray"

she smiled, got up, and opened the door to greet him. 

it's been two days since he first came to visit her in her cell. 

last night, he promised that when he returned, he would have a plan. 

a plan for their escape. 

as soon as the door shut behind him, they were discussing the plan. 

well, mostly just him, as he came up with the plan, and liza didn't talk much anyway. 

"...after that, i can remove your tracking thing, i don't know if you remember that, but they put one in all their favorites, and you, darling, are dangerous."

she blushes at both the statement and the pet name, nodding along in understanding.

they agree on tonight, they're doing it tonight. 

--

he knocks on the door, and she opens it quickly. he's holding a pocket knife, to cut out her tracker in the back of her neck. 

she turns her back to him, inhaling sharply as she feels the cold metal of the knife come into contact with her neck.

"brace yourself, princess, this won't be pretty," he says, in the same nonchalant tone as always.

so she holds her breath, and places her hand tightly over mouth, bracing for pain. 

she whimpers quietly at the pain that is suddenly shooting through her neck, squeezing her eyes shut. 

he apparently brought a bandage of some sort, too, because she feels something cover her neck and the blood stop trickling down her neck. 

when she turns around, the first thing she notices is the blood on his hands and a few drops on the floor. 

she closes her eyes, gasping quietly. 

purple.

it'd been so long since she'd seen blood.

and oh, how she'd missed it.

she lets a shaky, quiet little laugh, and this confuses david, how was still holding the bloodied knife. 

she smirks, making eye contact and taking the knife from his hands.

she twirls it in her hands, flashbacks rushing into her broken little head like waves.

"let's get the hell out of this prison"