one

[Bonnie's point of view]

I awoke with a start, gasping for air as my nightmare of Emily had left me completely breathless and heartbroken.

I ran down the small hallway to her room, swinging the door open, and walking over to her bed. She's gone.
I start to panic but don't move. I'm in utter shock and complete disbelief. Too soon my brain is filled with noise belonging to voices that are not my own.

I put my hands to my temple, pushing hard, hoping they'll stop but they don't. I stroll into the kitchen, unable to think clearly with all the commotion in my mind.

More drugs? The little bar down the street? I'm sure I could find a razor blade or lighter without difficulty. I took a deep breathe and closed my eyes. Without second thought or hesitation I reached across the counter, grabbed my cell phone, and dialed Katy's number.

Little did I realize that was the moment I started to recover. For the first time in ages I picked myself back up. Too bad I couldn't do the same for my little girl, or could I?

-

"You really need to start locking your door," My girlfriend half joked as she walked over to me. I shrugged.

"Awh baby," She cooed, wrapping me in a warm embrace. I held back sobs.

Katheryn held me for a few minutes before helping me wipe my tears and pulling me off the couch. "C'mon, we're going for a walk." I didn't argue.

The elevator doors closed revealing a big, bold, "NO."

"Pretty please, babe. Just see how it goes." I sighed at the puppy dog eyes my girlfriend was giving me.

"Fine."

She thanked me a few times, gave me a tight squeeze, and told me to call her after.

I walked into the office, a middle aged man was sitting in a chair by a huge window. "Dr. Harmon," He greeted, standing up and extending his hand. I nodded, "Bonnie," and shook his hand.

"Why haven't you ever gone through with suicide?" He asked toward the end of the session.

The answer was simple. It's because my daughter's sweet little angel face, heartwarming laugh, and loving embrace come to mind. Then- all of a sudden- I don't want to die. I want to stay in hopes that I could somehow figure out a way to get her back.

When I got back to my apartment complex I scribbled the large, unbreakable "NO" on the elevator door. For reasons similar to why people make a new year's resolution.

A tug on my arm pulled me back to present time. "What cha waitin' for?" Katy teased.

"Emily," I whispered without thinking. It took me a second to realize what I had just said aloud. Kate and I stood in complete silence, both of us at a loss for words.

[Emily's point of view]

The mess of horizontal cuts stung my hips as I slipped my shorts back on. I opened the bathroom door and started walking back down the hall.

"Babe!" A voice called out for me. Jennifer. I turned around just in time for her to jump into my arms and make the both of us nearly fall to the floor.

"Is- is this her?" She asked in awe, holding up a small picture. I gently took it in my hands and ran my finger over my mother.

"Y-yes," I barely managed to say.

"Wow," my girlfriend breathed, "you look just like her."

I suppose I did, but per usual I was at a loss for words.