Praline ice cream

FAMILY

She switched the channel again. And then again. And again. And again. And- "For heaven’s sake Katie! What’s wrong with these channels?" Her dad, who was sitting nearby on the same couch was getting frustrated. This was the only time for him to watch TV and it was being ruined by his moody daughter. "What are you trying to watch?"

"A documentary."

"A documentary?" Her mom came and sat on the chair, not bothering to hide the surprise in her voice.

"Yes."

"Okay, what documentary?"

"A documentary on eagles."

"Eagles?"

"Yes mamma."

Switching again, she came to a news channel; her dad’s favorite thing to watch as he was a politician himself. Hiding a devilish grin, she waited for the anchor person to tell that there had been a terrorist attack. She was about to connect to the journalist at the scene. She repeated the headlines, she pressed the device in her ear, waited for a moment, started talking to the journalist, the journalist had started informing about the attack on one of the politicians car and all too soon the channel was changed.

"Katie. Why don’t you go out and take some pictures of leaves and trees and roads and skies?" her dad offered after a moment of suspicious silence.

"I can’t. You just grounded me. You said I can’t use my camera and I can’t go out."

"Well- I- yeah- you can go. You’re not grounded anymore."

"Thanks!" She tossed the remote to her dad and jumped off the couch, heading towards the staircase. "Who even grounds their children for coming late at night from school?"

Her dad didn’t reply, he was busy watching the news. She went to her parent’s room, not even feeling a tad bit guilty for doing the nasty deed of bothering them and took the camera from her dad’s drawer. The smile never lifted off her face whenever she had her camera with her.

Going to her room, and then to her balcony, she looked at the surroundings for a little while. The weather was pleasant, the sun was about to set, the perfect moment for a picture. And she did take one. She took many as a matter of fact. And before she even knew, it was night, and the sun was out of sight a long time ago. She looked at the stars and excitedly climbed up the roof, taking pictures and lying there for some time, wishing her eyes were a camera too.

I didn’t even call Jack. Oh how could she not call Jack. She carefully climbed down, entered her room and exited it, ran towards her parent’s bedroom and knowing they were still down, she took all her belongings from the drawer. Her phone, her laptop, her notebook, her iPod and her headphones.

She came back, locked the door after shouting a 'good night’ and after receiving one too, dropped her stuff and herself on the bed and dialed Jack’s number. She must thank him for what he had done today.

He picked up after a ring. "Hello lovely Katie!" Oh how cheery was his voice.

"Hey." She croaked. And then cleared her throat. "Hello Jack."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to thank you for today, well, technically yesterday,” - she looked at her alarm clock and it was past midnight - “for saving me from that creepy guy."

"No problem, that guy was weird. And I couldn’t see you being touched by some bloody lunatic." His voice was showing amusement and fake anger.

"Right." She rolled her eyes with a grin not bothering to hide her blush.