Prologue

Maybe it was my knowledge of Greek mythology from when I was a child, but everything always seems so much more... Sudden and frightening when the wind is blowing. Zeus is angry. The sea is this astonishing, terrifying beast that can kidnap you and take you away and kill you in one of the worst ways to die at any moment. Poseidon is having an off day. Wow, don't the gods sound like assholes?

     You don't really know what you are, what you think is reality until something completely crazy and unbelievable happens to you. How do you know which God(s) is real unless you see them? How do you even know you are human? How do you know that your dreams aren't the real ones, and that reality as we know it is a lie? Everything, you're entire life, all your thoughts, everything that's ever happened to you, it's all in your head. Your brain makes up stories of so much that happens in your day to day life, how do you even know if any of it is real? Some people have multiple personalities, some are hyper aware in certain parts of their brain, some can remember infinity. How can those things exist? How can cancer disappear?

     Your brain is in control of so much more than you believe it can. Your brain can literally rewrite the DNA in your cells according to how it believes you should exist. Once you unlock the potential of the brain, you can unlock everything. Life is fleeting, insignificant. Reality is what you make of it.

     I didn't know all of this then. I was just a med student trying not to kill myself going through work and school and trying to maintain relationships with people around me. I was just trying to figure out who I was, what I wanted to be. I knew nothing more than that I wanted to understand what it meant to be human, and that I wanted to help people; and that's what doctors do, right?

     Well, that's what I knew before I tried to kill myself by jumping into the ocean, and, well... Turning into a fish.