Heartless in the games

I finished putting my sisters hair into a fishtail braid.

"Alyssa," she began "thank you"

My sister was only 7, but she was smarter than me, it's not just cause I never listen in school, she's just too eager.

"you're welcome Talia"

I rushed to the bathroom to wash off, I scrub my toes, my legs, my arms, everywhere. Then I dry off and hustle to my room to grab a towel. When I get there, I find myself something decent enough to wear at the reaping. My mom does my hair into a simple bun then wishes me good luck. On the way to the square, I see my crush, Thomas, wearing a white button-up shirt and black pants. He sees me and rushes over.

"Alyssa! Wait up!" he shouts from across the street.

I turn around and stare into his dreamy eyes.

"Alyssa? Are you listening?" he asks with a concerned voice.

"pardon me?" I say

"don't you dare volunteer... If you do, I don't know what I'd do, you're my best friend!" he says.

I knew it was just a dream he doesn't feel that way about me. Stuck in the friend zone.

We got to the square, full of adults and children. I get my finger pricked and wait for Thomas, I kiss him on the cheek and blush then rush to the 14 year old girls without looking back.

My friend Natalie shoves through the girls to get over to me.

"you and Thomas? I think you guys are a cute couple" she says eagerly.

"we're never going to date Natalie, he's my best friend" I sigh.

Our district escort casually walks on stage, Then greets us with a fake smile on their face. She introduces herself and like every year, plays a video about the uprising and the beginning of the games. It disgusted me.

When the video ends, she goes to the glass orbs, filled with the slips of paper, I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers, not me, please not me!

"Julia Darrens" she exclaims.

NO! That's Thomas's little sister, she turned twelve last week. I looked over at Thomas, then ran out to te middle of the crowd and screamed

"I VOLUNTEER"

Thomas stared at me in shock as I walked up to the stage.

"what's your name?" the escort asked.

"Alyssa Johnston" I mumble.

"now for the boys!" she shrieks.

She grabs one, then drops it and shoves her hand deeper in, then she pulls one out.

"Thomas Darrens"

I stare at Thomas as he walks up to the stage like its no big deal.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE TRIBUTES OF THE 62nd ANNUAL HUNGER GAMES" she screams.

Me and Thomas shake hands and walk to the train.

We get to the Capitol in a matter of minutes. When we arrive, there are colorfully dressed people everywhere. I rush inside holding Thomas's hand to make sure I don't loose him.

We get sent to our prep teams. They wax all the hair off my body, then scrub me from head to toe. When thy finish, the dry me off and go get my stylist, Endrem. He comes in with a mermaid-type costume. I slip it on.

a sea green seashell bra, with a neon yellow tail. I can't look at it, it's too bright.

I get to the chariot with Thomas. I grab his hand as we get on. I don't let go till the end of the track. After president snows speech, we head to the elevators to find our floors. Our escort, Amber, meets us on our floor. When we arrive, I get changed into a tshirt and shorts. I find Amber talking to Thomas, Finnick and Mags. Our mentors. I go hug Thomas, then go see Amber for a "coaching" session for the interviews. She makes me put on 4 inch heels, which I can't seem to manage, so she gives me a pair of flats. She asks me questions, then I answer. Time flies. I go to see mags and finnick for tips during the games. After that, Endrem calls me over to get ready for my interview. He hands me a beautiful yellow dress. It's flowy and probably one of the first dresses I've actually wanted to wear. I slip into it as he make slight alterations. Afterwards, he tosses me a pair of 3inch heels. I test them, I'm capable of it, they fit fine! I go to find Thomas, wearing a green suit. We head to the elevator, then go to the ground floor. All the tributes are on their way down, so it takes a while for the elevator to arrive. As soon as we get to the bottom, we line up, girl, boy, girl, boy, according to district number. First is D1 female. I don't know her name, but I don't care. Then it's my turn. "ALYSSA JOHNSTON" shouts ceaser, "so Alyssa, you volunteered this year correct?"