chapter 4

"Games Of The Heart" Chapter 4

Selena’s P.O.V

I was blessed with the family I had. And as I looked around the kitchen, I smiled. The scene resembled one of those cliche scenarios pulled from a commercial. My father, dressed in his suit and tie sat at the head of the table with the morning newspaper wedged between his hand as he sipped on the strong black coffee. My mother slaved over the oven with her floral apron shielding her clean clothes from any splashes and my eighteen month old sister sat in her highchair, porridge speared around her face as she gave a toothy grin at my arrival.

“Good morning.” I smiled, bending down and placing a kiss on my fathers cheek before walking the short distance to the messy little girl, Libby. “Good morning my monkey!” Libby giggled madly as I kissed her honey brown locks that were combed into two, curly pig-tails on either side of her head.

“Pancakes honey?” Mom smiled, pushing the batter around the pan as shook my head in response.

“Can’t. Coach wants the cheer team to meet up before bell rings. Probably to talk to us about performing at the welcoming back game next week which I find stupid — we’re a flyer down and there is no hope in getting someone train in three days.” I ranted, grabbing the napkin and wiping Libby’s hands from the sticky breakfast meal as she giggled. She was extremely ticklish — much like me.

“Bue, noooo!” She squealed, squirming as I rubbed her palm with a grin. I pecked her forehead as she dug the minnie mouse spoon back in the princess bowl and scooped up the rest of her food.

“Why don’t you volunteer then, sweetheart?” Dad asked, glancing over whilst taking another gulp of his extra strong, black coffee in his ‘No 1 dad!” mug.

“Coach needs me to be a base.” I grumbled, straighting out my leather skirt. I had dreamed of being like Brittany who was the main flyer but being pushed onto base from day one, I never had the chance to even take a glance in thatdirection. “But that’s fine. Brittany is our main flyer, she’s our very own stunt woman who gets tossed around like a football and believe me, you do not want to see the bruises she gets.”

“Say the little lady who grew up with bumps and bruises covering every inch of skin.” Dad joked, flipping over the page. “It shouldn’t matter if Brittany is the main one or not. If you want to do it honey, then do it and don’t let anything stop. You’ll never get anywhere if you don’t try.”

I smiled. My parents always supported me in everything; they supported me when I said I wanted to be a vet aged five, they supported me when I said I wanted to be a zookeeper aged eight, they supported me when I said I wanted to be a nurse aged eleven. They supported me throughout it all and never told me no, or that it wasn’t possible — even when I told them I wanted to be a fairy aged three.

As my phone vibrated twice on the table, I glanced at the newly received message from Ashley. “That’s Ash, she’s outside. I better go.”

“See you after school, sweetie!” Mom grinned, her rubber glove covered hands soaking inside the bubble filled sink. Kissing Libby’s forehead and blowing one to my parents, I rushed from the kitchen and grabbed my bag on the way.Standing at the white, picket fence with phone in hand and drooling at my neighbours hottie of a gardener, Ashley awaited my presence.

“You’re going to creep him out.” I giggled, nudging her forward and making her stumble over her Jeffery Campbells. Glaring and huffing, she straightened out her own skirt and began walking. “Morning Jack!”

His Selena, piercing eyes glanced up from the overgrown thorn bush as he gave a sexy smirk and cool guy nod. “Morning Selena.”

As we sped up and past Ms and Mr O’Connor’s home where Jack slaved everyday except weekends, Ashley let out a girly squeal and a sigh of contentment. “I will die a happy girl the day he knows who I am.”