Part Three

Chapter 3

I open my eyes, I'm crying. I raise my hands in the air as I start to pray.

"Father," I say, my voice breaking. "If it wasn't for Daniel, I would've never encountered Your amazing love."

I smile and laugh softly, my hands are still raised. I close my eyes and raise my head up.

"Thank You," I go on, "thank You for helping me to recover form that day."

"Heather?"

I open my eyes and find Ellie standing in front of me.

"Hey," I say, bringing my hands down.

"Ready?" she ask, pointing to the car.

"Yeah," I reply; I can't stop smiling and I don't know why.

We have arrived at the place where the fund-raiser is being held. The police chief, Daniel's dad, is greeting people at the door.

"Heather," he says, carefully hugging me.

"Hey Chief," I say, hugging him back the best I can with crutches. "It's been a while."

"Yes, it has. Far too long. I hope everything is going ok."

I nod as we pull apart. Chief had come to see me while I was in the hospital.

I go inside, I can see the chief's family sitting at one of the front tables. I can see Daniel's mom, younger sister and, well at least I think its his twin brother. But I'm not so sure because I can't remember him ever having one. I can't remeber his sister's name, but I know it's a name from the Bible, like Daniel's. The brother looks at me. He looks so much like Daniel! He smiles and waves. I wave back, maybe I can get to know him after the fund-raiser. I follow Ellie to the table where Dylan and some other co-workers are sitting. I take the empty seat next to Dylan.

"There she is," he says; I can tell he's already getting goofy. "The gir-"

"Don't start," I say, cutting him off. "I'd like to go through at least two hours of no goofing off with you. Is that too much to ask?"

Dylan raises his hands in surrender and nods. I make the sign-language sign for thank you. Miranda comes and sits on my other side, giving me a one arm'd hug.

"How're you feeling?" she asks, rubbing my arm.

"I'm feeling great," I reply, smiling a little bit. "I'm actually excited-"

"Ssh," Ellie says, pointing to the stage.

We all turn, facing the stage. Chief Harden and his wife are taking the microphones. Mrs. Harden has a square frame in her hand.

"Good evening," says the chief, clearing his throat. "Thank you for coming tonight. I expect you all brought your hungry stomachs, because we've got a delectable dinner for all of you-" the crowd claps - "Ha-ha! Ok, well before we begin, my wife and I would like to call up someone very special. You may have seen her working at the Pharmacy, or just around the block. Let's give a hand to Heather Diaz."

Everyone is clapping, Daniel's brother seems to be clapping the softest. My cheeks must be pink; I stand and carefully make my way to the front of the room. Daniel's sister stands and helps me up the stage.

"I'm Sarah," she whisperes in my ear.

Sarah, I should've remembered that. Sarah stays by my side as her mom starts to say something.

"'Heather,'" she reads from the frame; its a plaque. "'You took a great risk in what you did for Daniel. You could've lost your life, but you didn't care because you were more worried about him. Some might say you're crazy, but the Bible says differently. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13." She hands it to me.