chapter one [pt. 1]

A fight had broken out between Hyunsuk and I. We had been on the verge of breaking up then and there, but we decided to give each other some time to cool off, which was fine by me. 

I didn't want to break off this relationship when it's been so long since we've been dating. I couldn't even imagine where I'd be without him. I would've had no motivation, no courage, and no self-esteem if he hadn't been there to cheer me up through all those hardships.

Nowadays, we'd been getting into more and more fights that seemed so useless and a waste of time. Arguments and quarrels over who ate the last doughnut, over whether we locked the door, over whether we studied, whether we said good night, and even more.

We were pathetic.

I didn't want to burst out in anger and get him even more frustrated and cause the end of our relationship, but I couldn't help but get irritated by how annoyed he'd get over the simplest things. What had happened to the sweet, loving Hyunsuk I knew a year ago?

But this was the last straw.

"Hyunsuk..." I trailed off, my voice hoarse and raspy as I dropped my umbrella onto the muddy puddles on the ground, letting the rain soak my hair and dampen my clothes.

My pupils were noticeably trembling as I watched Hyunsuk wrap his arms around a girl sitting next to him on a bench and kiss her under an umbrella.

In alarm, Hyunsuk lurched away from the girl, who was also startled once they both heard me utter his name in disbelief.

My anger and shock building up inside of me, I finally couldn't hold it back anymore.

"So, you've been cheating on me with this... This girl the entire time?!" I roared.

"Yeseul, it's not what you think it is!" He cried out, the girl next to him clinging onto his arm.

"That's not what I see!" I pointed accusingly to the girl leaning against him who flinched under my finger. "What I see is some cheating going on! So, Hyunsuk, you've been wanting to break up this entire time? Is that why you'd have useless arguments with me?" I rambled on.

He stuttered, trying to get words out, but I didn't let him.

I continued, "Did you think this day would never come? I bet your girlfriend didn't know! Oh wait, which one of us is your girlfriend? Both? No, of course not! I was simply a toy!"

"Yeseul, hear me out!" Hyunsuk grabbed my wrist.

I shook him off quickly, tears forming at my eyes. "I thought we were real. I thought we were in love, but I guess not. You were just wanting to get this over with from the start," I whispered dryly.

I turned and sprinted away, leaving Hyunsuk and his girl sitting there, stunned, and my precious umbrella that I regret leaving behind.