Class 1 : Paragraphs

I'll be going over a few things related to paragraphs. These could be used both in stories and in essays of some sort, depending on what you're trying to write.

Rule 1 : Don't use run on sentences. Use periods and commas.

You'll thank me later on how much your writing has improved from that single rule.

I'll give you an example of what I mean.

Run-on Sentence Paragraph:

She twisted her head round and round terrified of the thing that is chasing her a loud roar is heard somewhere behind her and she jumps making a decision quickly she takes a turn in the maze never looking back unless necessary

Revised Paragraph:

She twisted her head round and round, terrified of the thing that is chasing her. A loud roar is heard from somewhere behind her, and she jumps. Making a decision quickly, she takes a turn in the maze, never looking back unless necessary.

Do you see how much better that one paragraph looks and sounds compared to the first one? Isn't it much easier to read and less annoying, to say the least?

I'm not trying to bash people for writing this way, so I apologize if it comes off like that. I think the reason people write like that are because they aren't into the writing all that much and just don't care. Either that or they don't understand how it works, which I can understand for a younger child, but not a kid in middle school and up.

Rule 2 : When using dialogue, space out the paragraphs. Don't clump them up.

I've seen many people on here write multiple dialogues that different characters are saying, and it gets confusing at times. Especially if you don't use quotation marks or commas.

I'll give you another example of what I mean.

Clumped Up Paragraph (without quotations and commas):

When the young woman made it back to The Glade she sighed in relief. The wall began to shut behind her making her sweat drop. That was far too close for comfort. A man runs up to her embracing her in a tight hug. Elizabeth! I'm glad you made it back on time he tells his lover breaking the hug. I always do Newt she responds with a smile laughing gently.

Revised Paragraph:

When the young woman made it back to The Glade, she sighed in relief. The wall began to shut behind her, making her sweat drop. That was far too close for comfort. A man runs up to her, embracing her in a tight hug.

"Elizabeth! I'm glad you made it back on time," he tells his lover, breaking the hug.

"I always do, Newt," she responds with a smile, laughing gently.

I don't really have much else to say about this, except that it does make quite the difference in writing.

We will be touching up on this rule in the next class.

Rule 3 : Going along with #2, don't clump up your paragraphs.

It can be quite irritating to read at times, whether they have the dialogue done correctly or not (with commas and quotations marks, I mean).

Here's an example.

Clumped Up Paragraph (with dialogue):

Newt chuckles and kisses Elizabeth's cheek before gripping her hand, leading her to Homestead for dinner. As soon as they sit down, they begin chatting amongst themselves and friends. "How was the maze, Elizabeth?" Chuck inquires, tilting his head out of curiosity. "Same as usual, really. Grievers chasing me, running away, memorizing the maze," she says, counting a list of things off her fingers. "Did you fall again?" Thomas teases, and they all laugh as Elizabeth exclaims, "Hey!"

Revised Paragraph:

Newt chuckles and kisses Elizabeth's cheek before gripping her hand, leading her to Homestead for dinner. As soon as they sit down, they begin chatting amongst themselves and friends.

"How was the maze, Elizabeth?" Chuck inquires, tilting his head out of curiosity.

"Same as usual, really. Grievers chasing me, running away, memorizing the maze," she says, counting a list of things off her fingers.

"Did you fall again?" Thomas teases, and they all laugh as Elizabeth exclaims, "Hey!"

Spacing out your paragraphs, both in dialogue and not, makes it look a lot more neat than when clumped together.

That's all I've got to say for paragraphs. There may be more in the future, so stay alert.

REVIEW:
Rule 1 : Don't use run on sentences. Use periods and commas.
Rule 2 : When using dialogue, space out the paragraphs. Don't clump them up.
Rule 3 : Going along with #2, don't clump up your paragraphs.

Thanks for attending my class!

———

-CastrarWolf

BOOK REFERENCE CREDIT: The Maze Runner by James Dashner.