| High School | part three

No answer. I knocked again and still no answer. Damn she’s a heavy sleeper. I began pacing outside and remembered that there was a spare key under the mat. I quietly slipped the key into the lock and turned to the left then half way to the right. Inside there was a minimum amount of light around the house so I guess if Darion did come home he wouldn’t have to stumble and almost kill himself over there expensive furniture. It smelled like the apple cinnamon cookies Darion’s little sister loves to make with their mom. This was like my second home that I was now a stranger in.

“Hello? Ms. Young?” I knocked on her bedroom door softly but loud enough for her to hear. Still no answer. Really?

I went inside and saw the flat-screen hanging on her wall flashing Poetic Justice, her favorite movie for who knows how long. I grabbed the remote that was sitting on her end table and clicked the power button. That woke her right up.

“Who’s there? Wait. Anastasia? Is that you? Turn on the light for me please babe,” she sat up in her bed and slipped on her plush flip flops. I clicked on the overhead light and saw her eyes squint up at me. “Girl do you know what time it is?”

“Yeah sorry about that Ms. Young I-”

“What have I told you time and time again? It’s Ms. Tamra! Your family baby don’t forget that.”

“Me and Darion aren’t together anymore though…” I said awkwardly.

“For now. My dumb ass son we’ll come to his senses soon.” She shook her head and lead me back downstairs to the kitchen and put on some tea. “So, what did you have to come here and tell at 4 in the morning ma’am?”

The butterflies that had in my stomach earlier were back and ready for round 2. She poured her and I a cup of tea and set it in front of me. I wrapped my hands around the steaming mug but the sensation wasn’t as intense as I suppose it should’ve been.

“Look, Ms. T its not a surprise me and Darion were, physical to say the least,” I couldn’t look her in the eyes and tell her I was fucking her son, it was just too weird.

“Sho ain’t. I wash that boys sheets and the stains y’all left,” she laughed hysterically. I could feel my cheeks reddening, she has no chill.

“And I don’t know what or how to say this b-but, I’m pregnant and I swear its his I haven’t been like sleeping around with anybody or anything like that and I didn’t know who to tell so I thought of you because you’re like my second mom and I’m scared as hell to tell mine-” she held her and hand out, silently telling me to stop. She didn’t say anything she just began to walk back towards her room and left me standing awkwardly in the kitchen by myself.

She came back with her reading glasses on and her checkbook in hand. “How much do you want?”

“W-what?”

“Look Anastasia I do love you like your my own but Darion just got accepted into the college he worked so hard to get into this year, and I don’t want you messing it up for him. So how much will it cost for you to take care of this pregnancy quietly and drift off to wherever you were before you met my son?” She clicked her pen and look ready to write whatever amount was needed for me to keep my mouth shut.