Chapter 9

The Devil took a marshmallow and a stick, starting to make s'mores just like them. Taylor asked curiously, "Miss Kloss, do you like sweets?"

"For sure. I sometimes make cookies for myself."

"That's amazing!" She opened her mouth. She had never made the connection between Miss Kloss and baking before.

"And you? What's your favorite food?"

She counted on her fingers, "I like cinnamon rolls, chocolate chip cookies, strawberry-flavored ice cream, and...my mom's apple pie is delicious too!"

"What about the food you don't like?"

Her face wrinkled in a scowl. "A lot. Above all else I hate beans. I also don't like pumpkin, taro, egg yolk..."

Miss Kloss was looking at her with an enigmatic smile, and pointed to the s'mores in Taylor's hand. "It's gonna get cold if you don't eat it now."

She suddenly remembered the s'mores; she hadn't yet taken a bite. She quickly bowed her head down and started chewing with her cheeks bulging. She held onto her food earnestly, as if fearing it would be taken away by someone else.

The Devil couldn't help lifting the Bunny's chin. She wiped the cracker crumbs off the corner of the girl's mouth with her thumb. She then moved her fingertip down, gently pressed on the girl's lip; it was as soft and moist as she had imagined.

The Bunny was stunned. Her blue eyes were wide open. In order to conceal her behavior, the Devil turned to speak to the class, "Wanna hear some ghost stories?"

"Yeah!" Some hardy kids blurted out. Those who were slightly hesitant nodded slowly, seeing the others being so excited.

The Devil thought for a moment. She first talked about a personal experience. When she was a child, her family once lived in a rented house where a murder had taken place long ago. She did see some strange things that happened in there.

In the dark night, the surrounding woods and trails retreated in mysterious silence. Everyone was concentrating on the movement of Miss Kloss's mouth. The fire was jumping and blinking in the blackness.

Taylor clung to Selena's arm. She wondered if it was a good idea to listen to ghost stories in the wilderness. She was the kind of people who would occasionally get apprehensive about sleeping alone.

The second story took place right here in Big Bear. About twenty years ago, a little boy was climbing the mountain with his family. He fell into the canyon as he trying to save a golden fox. The boy didn't know that his body had vanished; hence his soul had been wandering in the mountain, since this was his favorite place when he was alive. He liked to play with tourists. So, if you ever meet a boy with a blue hat who wants to talk to you, don't be afraid. He won't hurt you. He's a very friendly ghost.

Some kids who were addicted to the ghost stories shouted for one more. The Devil looked to Bunny and found the girl shivering against Selena. So she turned to the class and announced, "It's getting late, and there's a lot going on tomorrow. Go wash up and sleep soon."

On the way back to the cabin, Miss Kloss was walking with them. The friends exchanged a look, and Martha finally spoke up sheepishly. "Miss Kloss...um...you are actually not as distant as you usually appear..."

"How can I face you kids down in class if I'm not being strict? I also heard that you gave me the nickname 'the Devil'?"

Ed stuck out his tongue, "We're sorry..."

The Devil waved her hand. "I don't mind. My friends on the track team used to call me that too because I always won."

"So the rumors are true!" Cara exclaimed excitedly. "Is the rumor that you used to have a girlfriend in college also true?"