1 - Ten Days

All my life, I've thought I've been a happy person.

I've never seen too many faults in myself and I consider myself pretty attractive. I have a pretty basic guy look. Blonde hair, hazel eyes, tan. I don't see a problem with myself. I even think I dress decently.

I know that so many people struggle with that. My best friend, Tess, really struggles with self-image and probably takes longer making herself look good than maybe any other person I know, even though i find her pretty. I try to help her and boost her confidence as often as I can so maybe she'll see what other people see of her.

Like I said, I really didn't see a problem with everything, until I heard the news. I woke up early one morning and turned on the television and, bam! There it was.

In 10 days' time, there will be a change. More information to come out by the hour.

News on The Change: On day 10, everyone will be put to sleep for three whole days. Be ready.

ARE YOU PREPARED? NEWS ON THE CHANGE SAYS THEY ARE GOING TO CORRUPT OUR MINDS "FOR THE BETTER"?

What? "The Change"? What even is that? Why is it everywhere? I knew what to do. It's what I always did. I turned on my phone. It started ringing. Pick up. Pick up.

"Hello? Why are you calling so early?" 

"Tess? I really need to talk to you."

"What is it Josh? Are you okay?" She perked up from worry, even though she had sounded tired before.

"Yeah, I think? Did you see that thing on the news about that weird change thing?"

"No. Let me look and I'll talk to you about it at school okay?"

". . . Fine. Yeah, see you there." With that I hung up. I really want to know what is going on. I only have ten days to find out too. This is so confusing, I don't get any of it. I decided to get ready for school, so I got my outfit on and did my hair kind of messy and was pretty much ready.

I walked out to my entryway and put my sneakers on, grabbed my backpack, and headed for the door. It was cold waiting for the bus but not freezing so I was fine in a simple hoodie. The bus came after a few minutes and I put in my earbuds and put on my music.

After about 45 minutes, we were at the school and I got off the bus. I was very quick to get to my locker and get what I needed before going to Tess's locker to talk to her about this change thing. When I got there though, she wasn't there. I waited and waited until the bell for first period rung so I frowned and went to class.

Where is she? She should be here. Maybe she just missed the bus. Hopefully. I really had to talk to her. We didn't have any classes together except lunch and eighth period, so I went about my day, not really paying much attention to the teachers.

Finally, when lunch came around, Tess wasn't at our usual table. I didn't know what else to do and I was worried, so I sent her a text.

Me: hey where are you?

Hopefully she would at least respond to my text. If not, I was going to see if she was at her house after school. Lunch came and went, and still nothing from Tess. I started getting very discouraged, so I decided to try and not think about it. It was really hard to ignore the fact that in a few days, something bad could happen to everyone.

Now, I never thought something would ever happen like you see in movies where someone tries to take over the world. But this scenario, that is actually happening, seems pretty similar. I mean, the "society" is changing our minds and world "for the better"? It's bizarre.