Chapter 1

"No one new.  No one could possibly know.  I don't want them to know."

Those are the words I told myself every morning after my parents death.  Every time I woke up and saw a rat scurry across the floorboards I would say these words.  Every time I woke up screaming from a nightmere, I would repeat these words over and over again.  I always said that these words were the truth but after I met him... I started to wonder if they were a lie and the truth was the exact opposite.

Chapter 1 

“Life always begins with one step outside of your comfort zone.” 

― Shannon L. Alder

For a moment I thought that the reason I woke up was from a bad dream but then I realized it was because of my stupid little sister, Maria.  She was jumping on the floorbaords that were above my bed making dubris and a possible rat fall onto my "bed".  It was made from couch coushins that I'd found from grandmas old couch in the basment.  

"Make me food!" Maria screams through the flooorboards.  I kicked the quilt of my legs and walk over to the old bathroom that was only used by me.  The basment used to be used more than this when mom and dad were here but after that nobody came down here.  Eventually my brother and his wife and my younger sister kicked me out of my room and into the basement.  

I look into the mirror and see a girl with flushed cheeks and long brown hair.  My mother used to call me beautiful and I'd believe her but after she had died I became rather netrual to the fact that I'm pretty or not.

My brother and sister treated me badly because I was supposedly mom and dads "favorite".  I was adopted and looked nothing like anyone in my family it all.  The oppisite really... I had brown hair they had blond I had shockingly green eyes and they had dull gray eyes.

They had always treated me badly but it got worse once mom and dad left.  Since they left the house to my brother and I wasn't old enough to move out he kicked me onto the basement and I basically became Cinderella.

"Iris!  Why the hell aren't you up here cooking breakfast?" Max, my brother, screamed at me.

"Honey, she just woke up.  Give her a minute." That was Max's wife, Alexa.  She wasn't rude to me like Max and Maria but she couldn't do much because when she did, most times, Max would take her into his room and do God knows what to her. 

I have told her countless times to not stand up for me, to just leave it.  She did for one day but started doing it again.

"I'm coming." I told him through the floorboards before he could yell at Alexa.

I walked out of the bathroom with a used mouse trap and walked up the stairs that entered the kitchen.  As soon as I got to the top stair I was slapped.  I look up and see Max standing there glaring.

"I'll Go make breakfast." I mumbled and looked down at the ground.  

After making breakfast I looked at the time and saw that it was thirty minutes until school started.  I ran downstairs and got dressed in a hoodie and jeans and ran out the front door.  I had to walk to school each morning and it was around a thirty minute walk so I was sure to be late and I still had to get my books.  

I started to quicken my pace, not wanting the school to call my "loving" brother and tell him that I was late again.  

Twenty minutes later it started to rain.  I didn't shiver or get cold.  I have felt much worse pain than this.  The rain poored down on me, soaking my sweatshirt and shoes.  A car passed by and water splashed at my feet.

I was tempted to flip them off but then my instinct told me that I was going to get hit if I did something like that.  My hands go into my sweatshirt and under my armpits in an attempt to get the feeling back in them.

A minute later a car stops near me.  I look over and see that its following my pace.  My feet move faster, trying to get away but, of course, the car keeps up with me.  

"Whats your problem?" I ask not realizing the car window was open.

"Well, I was going to ask where you were going." I jump in surprise at his response.  His voice was low and comforting.

"School." I say and try to walk faster.

"Would you like a ride?" He asked.

"You don't even know what school I'm going to." 

"Sweetheart, there is only one highschool in this town and I dont think you're in middleschool." He said raising one eyebrow.  I purse my lips, noticing what he said was true.

"I don't need a ride." I tell him over the sound of the rain.

"I don't care if you need one." He said leaning over and opening the passenger door.  My stomach slightly twisted at what he said.  I roll my eyes and keep walking.

"I don't even know your name.  Why should I get in the car with a stranger?" I ask.

"Ace." 

"Huh?" I look at him, not quite hearing what he said.

"Ace." He says louder.  "Thats my name."  

"That makes a difference." I mumble under my breath but I do think I've heard that name before at school.  He stops the car and looks at me, although I keep walking.

"Iris, please just get in the car.  You're gonna catch a cold." I stop.  He knew my name.  Knows my name.  I turn and look at him and his face looked surprised at what he said.

"Fine." I say, ready to ask him questions about why he knew my name.  I got in the car and we drove towards school.  After a while I start to wonder if I should ask him why he knew my name.  But the words never left my mouth, just constantly repeating in my mind.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

When we pulled up to the school everyone looked at Ace's car and the girl inside.  Me.  They all seemed surprised that he had someone in his car. 

The rain had stopped and no the ground was just a sloppy mess of mud and water.  Ace pulled into a parking space and got out of the car.  I got out after him and everyone was soon pointing and whispering.  It scared me, never in my life have I had so much attention.

And right then I remembered the name Ace.  Ace as in the star football player.  Ace the one who had women falling at his feet but never bothered with them.  Ace who new my name for some reason and just gave me a ride in his car. 

No.  No, no, no, no!  This cannot be happening.  Why me?  WHY did he have to pick me up and know my name?  I don't get it.  Now I'm going to get looks from people and they're gonna gossip.  Well, screw you too Ace.

"Hey are you coming?  I'll walk you to your class."  His voice pulled me out of my thoughts.  I nod my head and walk a bit faster than him, attemoting to get away.

But of course with my luck it didnt work.  He followed me inside and I realized that  this was going to be one hell of a day.

So this is the first chapter I hope you enjoy!  Sorry the chapter is a bit short but I didnt have much time to write.  

Anyway thank you for reading and I will get the next chapter out soon!