Chapter One

Connor hurried down the dark street, under the streetlights that never emitted light. He tucked the brown paper package more securely under his arm, and checked the time on his luminescent watch. 

10:30. That was bad. That was very bad. His mother had always warned him: never stay out after dark. Never. 

Connor thought he saw something move in the bushes to his right, and had to bite his own knuckle to keep himself from screaming. He quickened his pace, turning down the familiar street.

Almost there. 

Connor Keith had never wondered why there were no other kids living on his street, or why his mother insisted on homeschooling him. He had never questioned what happened to his father, or why Macy had suddenly disappeared one afternoon. Connor sometimes felt deep down that something was horribly, horribly wrong with his life, but after voicing his concerns to his mother, the feelings would go away, taking all memories of doubt with them.

His mother had never allowed him to go out alone, and certainly never at night. But this afternoon when she became sickly, it was Connor’s job to go and fetch medicine from Ms. Hardings. 

Connor did not like Ms. Hardings. Not one bit. She was an elderly lady that lived on the other side of the neighborhood, in a brick house with an overgrown front lawn. She grew thousands of herbs in the back garden, Connor was certain some were illegal. 

The creepiest thing about her were her eyes. Ms. Hardings had piercing black eyes, flecked with sliver. They reminded Connor of the night sky he had only glimpsed at, but looking into her eyes were as if looking into a bottomless pit. He never looked directly into her eyes, fearing for his safety. 

Connor had his suspicions she was a witch, but that was impossible. Witches couldn’t get past the Gate. 

Connor jumped up the steps to his front door two at a time, eager to get inside, out of the night.

He grabbed the door handle and tried to turn it. 

Locked.

Connor felt his heart rise up into his throat. His mother wouldn’t have locked the door. She knew he was coming back soon. 

He raised one fist to knock on the door, but only managed a single rap before something collided with his side, knocking him flat on his back.

Connor screamed and kicked with all his might, but the thing didn’t budge. Nor did anyone come to his rescue.

He twisted his head, trying to get a better view of what was pinning him to the ground.

It was a girl.

Connor was very unfamiliar with girls. His mother didn’t allow him to go near the local school, and when she did take him into town, he was instructed never to talk to anyone.

Questions pooled on Connor’s tongue, but all he could manage to say was, “Ow.”

The girl smiled viciously. “Am I hurting you?”

The thought seemed to give her satisfaction, so Connor shook his head with a frown.

The girl moved in a blinding blur, her pale skin reflecting the non-existent moonlight. She was too fast for Connor to follow, so it was a cruel surprise when she was suddenly kneeling on his chest, driving the air from his lungs.

“What about now?” She smirked.

Connor’s lips formed words, even though he could not say them. The girl laughed and sat back, allowing Connor to breathe again.

“Who are you?” He gasped. 

She tutted, waving one single, long finger in the air. Connor saw that her fingernails were painted an all-too realistic blood red.

“Let’s not be hasty, shall we?” The girl smiled tauntingly, and Connor got his first clear look at her teeth. She saw the colour drain out of his face, and smiled even wider.

Showing off her fangs.

“You’re....you’re a....” Connor stuttered. 

The girl rolled her eyes theatrically. “Come on, mortal. Say it.”

“Di...div...”

The girl sighed. “Divine.” 

Connor nodded slowly. 

The girl flipped her hair over her shoulder in a lightning fast move, then braced her hands on either side of Connor’s head.

The girl’s smile was suddenly coming at him from all angles, an inescapable gleam of white set against ruby lips.

Connor kicked his leg in a weak protest against the needle-like pain on his neck, and then everything went black.