Chapter 1 - The Capture

The night was dark and Lena was cold. She shuddered, thinking about how she had unwittingly left her jacket hanging on the hook at home. She kept walking, seeing her breath come out in puffs from her mouth. As Lena finally arrived, she looked at the clock and realized just how long it had taken her to walk here. She looked down the dark empty corridors of the drab, gray building and started to regret declining the offer for magte bodyguard. Lena didn't need the protection, but rather the company. Hearing, the clip clop of her shoes hitting the ground, Lena looked from side to side, searching for room D26. When she found it she pressed her hand to the cool glass scanner and the door slid open. Inside sat a sandy haired boy with blue eyes who looked about her same age. He was slumped over with half closed eyelids, as if he were struggling to stay awake after days without sleep. "Hi there," said Lena, trying to sound as friendly as possible. "What's your name?"

    "Eli," the boy slurred.

    "OK Eli, how are you feeling right now?"

    "Tired." The sedatives were still in effect.

    "Why are you here Eli?" Lena asked.

    "Why are you here?" Eli replied. Lena sighed.

    "I'm here to interrogate you. You committed aggravated assault against a esteemed magte."

    "Heh," he laughed "I guess I did. And he deserved it! He was trying to snuggle up with Gisa! What a creep!" Eli banged his fist on the table. He was screaming, and didn't seem nearly as tired as before.

    "Whoa! Calm down!" Lena said, extending her hand. She felt a surge of energy rush fingers and suddenly Eli paused.

    "You're right," he said, sitting back down, "I mean, it wasn't that weird, right?"

    "Yeah. Just chill out and everything will be alright." Lena focussed and sensed that Eli hadn't lied. She marked some boxes on a checklist and then pressed a button near the door. "The guards will be coming to escort you out soon. You'll have to pay a small fine but otherwise your off the hook. Thank you for your time." Lena left the room and was walking through the hallways when she heard voices arguing around the corner.

    "Are you sure this will work?" asked the first voice. It sounded like a young girl with a slight squeak to her voice.

    "Yeah. All I had to do was make a slight adjustment to the central power core. They'll work the same, if not better than the industrial ones!" replied the second voice. This voice was more melodic than the first voice, but also lower in pitch.

    "We should really hurry," added a third voice, smooth but a little monotone, "It's getting light out."

    "Alright then, let's do this thing!" whispered the first voice.

    "After you then Gisa," said a gruff fourth voice, by far the lowest of all. "He is your boy after all." Suddenly a young girl came around the corner, probably the owner of the first voice, and the one known as Gisa. Lena and the girl stared at each other in shock. Out of nowhere, Lena felt a heavy hand hit her head and the world went black.

                                       *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    "Hello you lovely listeners and welcome back to channel 1 news and music. As always I'm your host, Camila Newheart, queen of Scoresbia. Breaking news overnight, interrogator and singer Lena Animaura has gone missing. She was last recounted for at the interrogation center of the civilian district. If you have any information of her whereabouts, please contact the authorities. In other related news, 4 menslik children were reported missing this morning. They seemed to have disappeared from their homes last night and still have not returned. Again, if you have any information of their whereabouts and how or if these two disappearances are connected, contact authorities as soon as possible. As a friendly reminder, if you or anyone you know has recently discovered or unreported powers, please take them to the capitol immediately. Now for our morning tunes. First up, we have a song by-" Click. Sinker turned off the radio, while sitting down to face everyone else at the table.