Prologue

I am Sirena Greene - 17, adopted, and Filipino.

I love to dance and hang out with my best friends Kaley and William. Junior year- hard enough, right? Yep. Now, one of the old schools near ours shut down, so the whole entire district is coming to Brookmount, home of the nightingales. Once I heard about this, my first thought was,

"School is just about to get interesting."

(Pic is Sirena)

I sighed and store out the window as the car bumped along the road. My adoptive mother turned the car, "Ooh! Taco Bell!" And like all previous sadness, my emotions faded into joy. I jolted upwards. "What? Where?" Mom chuckled and shushed me as my adoptive father had gotten a phone call. We pulled into the parking lot and my mom left to get food.

We were currently driving back from Jefferson City, the capital of Missouri, all the way back to Brookmount. Our summer vacation had come to an end and I still had to get school supplies for junior year. For now, we had to go home.

"No! Call investors. This is ABSURD. We cannot let this go!", my dad yelled. I sunk in my seat. Him being a businessman, these types of calls were normal. "The stocks are fine- just- listen, Steven, we can't let go of that investor. He is practically why the company exists. Just give him what he wants."

Dad furrowed his brow. "Tell Charlie to deal with corporate!" He yelled, hanging up and sighing as my mom returned into the car. "Everything okay honey?" She asked, giving his arm a squeeze. He gave her a reassuring smile. "I'll fix this. I always fix it."

Fact one about my parents- so romantically in love it's disgusting sometimes. I guess you could call me lucky, it is sweet to see. They were high school sweethearts, and a problem with one of them made it so they couldn't have kids. They were absolutely devastated.

They ended up going to adopt, feeling that their family wouldn't be complete without a child. So they picked up me, some tan little girl, from the Philippines. I have no contact with my old parents, but I'm just fine with these two lovebirds.

My mom handed me a spicy chicken burrito with extra buffalo sauce- just how I like it. She gave me a small smile and started the car back up. I really, really didn't want to go back to Brookmount.