Chapter One

The water brushed up against her bare feet, it's cool and tempting touch filled her with excitement. There was only the slightest sigh of wind ruffling through the trees, the air pulling the waves toward the pair. Maybe the wind and the water wanted her to jump in as much as she did, Anna thought to herself with a playful smile on her lips. It seemed that way, like the gentle crash of the waterfall was calling her name, the rustle of leaves daring her to embrace the fresh water spring. She felt Kyle's hand squeeze hers. She glanced over at him, seeing his beautiful smile matching hers, his whole image left her weak at the knees.

For years, the two of them had been escaping from the village to relax by the water's edge. There were many creeks and springs throughout the forest but this one had always been their favourite. Maybe it was the pebble beach sloping toward the clear water, the waterfall across from them with falling droplets splashing against the moss covered rocks and spilling into the creek. But most of all it was the trees, gathered like an audience and they were the performers, or because they acted like curtains shielding them from the rest of the world - or from reality itself. 

"Ready?" Kyle asked.

Anna grinned, seeing their reflection in the mirrored surface, knowing she couldn't bear to stand there for a second longer. "Ready."

At her word, they propelled into the air. Although the flight was only a second long, it felt like she was a bird and the air was her wings, it seemed to last forever. The water loomed from below and then swallowed them both. She kicked her legs and made her way through the glossy water to the surface, ignoring her heavy petticoat pulling her down.

The water broke around her, tiny drops lingered on her face and soaked her thick blonde hair. Kyle's hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her into his chest. She turned and wrapped her arms around his neck and could feel his muscles from underneath the wet fabric of his shirt. Anna felt herself melt into him out of pure content. She was in his arms, safe and secure, surrounded by the serene forest and calm water. Their lips locked together, the fire from within her roared with passion, their bodies entwined as Kyle pressed her against the moss carpet of the undergrowth.

It was moment like these, basking in the tingling ray of the sun above and lying on the damp soil with Kyle's arms wrapped around her shivering body, that Anna wondered why they were not betrothed. He had never asked, he hadn't even dared to entertain the idea, but Anna never gave him a reason to do so. It was all fun and games, that's what she told herself, they were just enjoying the time together while it lasted.

When the thought did ever cross her mind, she saw the beautiful happiness and love for a brief moment, then it burned away to pain and misery. She saw her own mother, broken after giving Anna life, ridden with disease and illness. Marriage was a game and the women always seemed to lose, that was how Anna saw it. She was strong, she refused to be broken, perhaps that was why the women of the village hated her so much.

"I love the feel of your skin against mine." Kyle breathed at last, his fingers tracing the outline of her hand, each stroke raised the hairs on her arms.

Anna ignored his remark and gazed past him. "I wonder what the real world is like..." She mused.

With a sigh, Kyle broke away from her, the atmosphere turning sour. "Dangerous. That's what they say. Dark, grey and miserable. The cities must reek of death."

Such a dark subject on such a lovely day, Anna thought, regretting even mentioning the subject. She stared at the forest before them, faced with the idea that there was life beyond the trees, beyond the capsule village. Life that she had been denied access to from birth. People die out in the real world, that's what they were told. But people die here too. Death is inevitable; she knew that but couldn't shake the feeling that she was the only one who really understood that.