chapter 5.

"Splitting up was a horrible fucking idea," Tristan grunted as he stretched his arms up.

"I don't know. I think this is a well needed break," Dominic stated. "Let go of your girlfriend for five minutes."

"I can't, man. She's all I have."

"What about your ma? She still crazy?" Damon asked, looking at him for seconds at a time.

"Some things will never change and she's one of them. What about you? What happened with Mitch?"

"He just pisses me off," Damon sighed. "He doesn't care about what I want or what I'm going through."

"Out of all of us, you're one of the only people he does care about," Ian said from behind him. "Mitch just sucks at showing emotions."

"Its not about emotions. He doesn't respect my decisions."

"I didn't even know you guys were so close," Tristan said, putting down his phone. Damon didn't answer. He shrugged. "What about Jayden? Do you miss her?"

"Yeah, you've been surprisingly calm about all of this, what's up?" Dominic said butting in.

"I don't know how to feel. Like inside I feel something slowly building up but this still feels like a nightmare," He sighed. "It's my fault we're even in this fucking deep. We should've just called someone like most of you wanted. I'm such an idiot," he gripped the steering wheel.

"You were scared, D," Dominic said, resting his chin on the shoulder of Tristan's seat. "I don't blame you for being scared."

"When we're in Cloudcroft it'll be safe to talk. We can go over it together, as a group," Ian took a deep breath. "And we'll need a story."

"I'm sorry for hitting you," Damon said to him. "I was overreacting."

"It's okay. It reminded me of when we used to get in those fake fights and wrestle all the time at lunch?" They all laughed, recalling the start of their friendship.

"Everyone thought it was real," Dominic laughed. "I miss middle school."

"Well, it kinda was," Damon chuckled. "But when people started crowding around it became more about entertaining."

"People thought we were so cool back then," Tristan laughed. "Especially when you two were best friends again the next day."

"What were you even fighting about?" Dominic asked. "I don't remember." Ian and Damon both laughed to themselves.

"It was mostly over girls."

"And the fact you always wanted to win the fights," Ian sneered.

"That's not true," Damon laughed.

"No, it definitely is! You cared so much how you'd look if you lost."

"You won a few times," Tristan said.

"Yeah, I guess," Ian admitted, sitting back. He became distracted by the other cars on the road and found himself hoping the others were still behind them. "I hope the others are okay," he admitted.