4

Jo

"Morning, Lou," I call from the register. Beth is sick today, so I got moved to her usual battle station. Lou frowns as he approaches, but doesn't comment on the change.

I slide the cup of freshly brewed espresso across the marble counter as he lays down a two-pound coin. As he's pocketing his wallet, I pop my new question.

"Question of the day: what is your favorite hobby?"

He thinks for a moment. "I collect books."

"Really?"

He smirks. "Is that so hard to believe?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I don't remember the last time I met a guy like you who enjoyed reading, let alone collected books."

Lou leans forward over the counter. "What do you mean, a guy like me?"

I shift back slightly. "I—well, just—"

His booming laugh is a pleasant sound so early in the morning. "Relax, Emily," he says, nodding at my nametag as the fake name leaves his lips, "I'm only messing with you."

I pray that the blush on my cheeks isn't as red as it feels. "What's your question, then?"

He pushes his curls back with one hand. "What's your real name?"

"Nope. Try again."

"What's your surname?"

"Nuh-uh."

His sigh sends flutters through my stomach. Wow, he's cute. "Was worth a shot."

"I'm impressed you're still trying."

"Okay, how about this one?" He looks down at the counter, avoiding my eyes. "Will, uh... are you free tonight?"

I blink a few times. "I'm sorry?"

"Can I take you out? Like, on a date?"

The swarm of butterflies spreads through every inch of my body. I wonder if he can hear my heart beating in my chest.

I want to say yes. I want to say yes so bad. But while my inner romantic is screaming at me to accept, my brain is listing off a million reasons why it would never work.

"I'm sorry," I say after a long moment. "I can't."

"If you're not free tonight, we could try another—"

"I mean no," I clarify. "I'm just..."

He seems to process. "Oh."

I apologize again as if it will help. "I'm so sorry."

"No, it's, uh... It's okay. I understand. You don't know me, I don't know you... yeah."

I bite my lip, unsure of what else to say. He lingers for a moment, then finally nods. "Okay. Well, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Lou."

He offers a weak smile, then swallows his coffee and bins it on his way out. I check the clock as the bell rings.

It's 7:25 AM.

***

"Beth?" I shed my jacket, scarf, hat, and gloves as I shut the door to our flat behind me. It's nearly noon. On my way home, I stopped to pick up soup from her favorite cafe in hopes of making her feel a little better. It's too hot in my hands, so I set it on the floor to avoid dropping it as I hang up my layers.

"I'm here," her voice calls back. It's hoarse; she must have still been coughing. I could hear her coughing through the night, and needless to say, it didn't sound comfortable.