Chapter Twenty-Two

I take back what I said about only ever seeing Ava angry once--I'd completely forgotten about the Ouija board incident before Christmas. Although compared to this, that was child's play. Ava's jaw is clenched, and she's grasping her mobile phone tightly in her hand. I don't think I've ever seen anyone trying to not break into a fit of rage as much as she is right now.

Carmen jumps up immediately when she spots us, and I notice she has her phone in her hand. She must've been the one calling her. Tom stares in our direction with wide eyes and an expression that screams oh shit, while Jamie just looks irritated. I, on the other hand, am trying not to stare at the big black cloud of I don't even know what.

"Did you stop them, or have they already started it?" Ava asks before anyone can speak, and despite the obvious physical frustration, her voice is as calm as ever.

Carmen sighs. "Take a guess, they're idiots."

She continues with something else, but I miss it because Annabel turns to me with wide eyes, and asks, "Felix, are you seeing that?"

She's gaping at the black mass I'm trying to pretend isn't there, which isn't going too great because despite the fact it's night time and the park is poorly lit, the thing is so dark that it stands out like a splash of colour in a black and white film. This can't be good.

"It's fine," I hear Jamie say as I tune back into my flatmates' conversation. "Sorry, we'll just leave it." He goes to pick up the board, but Ava shoots her hand out to stop him.

"We can't just leave!" she snaps for the first time, well, ever. "You've released spirits--dark spirits into the world! We need to end it appropriately, not just cut it off. I mean, whoa, for someone studying at university level, you're not very clever."

Despite the bleak situation, I kind of laugh a little because I know insulting Jamie's intelligence will have pissed him off majorly. Without any prior warning, Ava grabs my arm and pulls me towards everyone. She tells Carmen to sit back down, then orders me too as well. The grass is wet, and I must be sitting on a rock because there's something digging into my leg. The black mass remains, probably proving Ava's point. I avoid looking at it.

"So what, do we need to sign off? Oh, can we sign off as Tom and the Ghoul Patrol," Tom jokes, evidently not catching on to the serious tone lingering.

Ava ignores him. She orders us to all place our hands on the planchette, to which I'm naturally perplexed by, but no one else is because they're all such committed paranormal society members. I'm quickly told it's the teardrop shaped piece of wood that's meant to move around the board.

"I don't--Why do we need to do it? We didn't start it," I question, desperately attempting to avoid joining in on a séance as the local ghost whisperer. I can't imagine it's a good mix.

"We interrupted it, so we're a part of it. The spirits will have latched onto us now as well," Ava replies, her voice still calm and controlled. When I still don't touch the thing, I notice her eye twitch. "If you don't participate, every spirit that has been released from Tom and Jamie's actions will not only be unable to be banished, but they'll latch themselves onto you."

Screw that shit. I sell my soul and join the others in placing a finger on the planchette. Annabel, who's now sitting beside me, is glancing between me and the black mass I continue to ignore. She's huddled up close, her shoulder brushing mine. I think she's scared.

"What have you asked so far?" Ava asks, focusing on Jamie.

"Uh, just if there's anyone there. Nothing responded though, I really don't think there's anything to worry--"

"Is there anyone there?" Ava calls into the air.

There's no response. Well that's bullshit because there's some shady black fungus right above us. Ava asks again, but there's still nothing. On the third go, she says something a little different.