1

If you like the book, don't forget to add it to a reading list so you can see when it gets updated!

Serenity tried not to cry out as she felt pain shoot up her arm. She gritted her teeth and tried to think about happier things, but the pain demanded all of her attention. So she wriggled and twisted, but the grip on her arm was too tight.

"Awwww, look at the little girl," she could hear Mason sneer.

His cronies laughed cruelly. Some of the students snapped at them, but none tried to help Serenity. She resisted the urge to yell at the bystanders, to yell at the bullies, to yell at everyone who had tried to help, but in the end, failed.

Serenity stopped fighting and relaxed. The pain lessened, just a bit. "Fine," she said sweetly.

"Hmm." She could feel Mason's breath on her neck.

Serenity focused on readying her arm but tried to stay loose at the same time. Then she felt it. Mason had loosened his grip, just a bit. Just enough.

She twisted away, spinning like a ballerina into the crowd of students. There was a scream and some mutters.

"Hey!"

"Watch it!"

"Ugh."

Serenity turned to face Mason. He might've seemed handsome with his shaggy blond hair, muscles, and perfect skin, but just looking at him made Serenity feel sick. His friends all acted like slaves, laughing at whatever their master said and sneering at whatever their master sneered at.

But she stared bravely into his dark, merciless eyes. Someday, she thought fiercely, you'll get a taste of your own medicine.

Then Mason froze. His eyes glazed over, but he was still staring at Serenity, frightened out of his wits.

"No!" he yelled. Everyone immediately stopped. "Please, I'm sorry, I'm really very sorry, just—"

Mason fell to the ground. 

"The heck?"

"What's wrong with him?"

"I'm getting the nurse!"

"Why don't you call the mental hospital?"

"This is scary..."

"Did Serenity just do something to him?"

Accusing eyes turned to the person in question.

"I don't... I..." Serenity could suddenly see two things. One was the scene in front of her. The other...

Someone was punching her. No, she was a him. And as the blows came at him, he scrambled back.

Just like Mason was doing.

Serenity willed the bullies to stop punching him, and they did. Mason stopped moving.

"Why..." Mason stared fearfully at Serenity, but he could not see her. He could only see this fake reality.

And then, with a single thought, the scene changed. Mason was falling, down, down, down.

In front of Serenity, Mason screamed. "I'm going to die!"

Everyone started yelling. In the back of her mind, the girl could see the nurse rushing to Mason. But this torture she was putting her bully through required her attention, her imagination.

He was standing on obsidian. To either side of him, there was obsidian. The sky was obsidian.

And in front of him was a black gate.

The gate swung open, and he walked forward against his will. In front of him, people screamed in agony as they were burned alive. A darkened figure walked among them, the flames parting to allow it to walk around unharmed. Not them; it.

The darkened figure was walking toward him.

As the figure came closer, he could make out a slim, masculine figure, but it had two curving horns, goat's feet, and a tail that ended in an upside down heart.

The Devil took his hand and led him into the flames. But the fire wouldn't allow him to pass through it without being burned. They were hungry.

Metal chains lept out of the ground and bound him. The Devil walked away, its tail swishing lazily.

Serenity knew she could make a thousand scenes like this. But she had to concentrate on the real world.

She had a superpower. She was a superhero or a supervillain. 

So she needed a name.

Fantasy.