Chapter 9

Today was another chemo treatment day. Now that Dylan knew the truth, he never left my side when I was going through hard times. Johanna allowed him to stay overnight once after a terrible chemo treatment. He never left my side.

"When do the side effects kick in?"

Dylan asked, holding my hand as the I.V. continued to drip into my veins.

"Any min-" I stop mid sentence as my stomach starts to hurt, "Right now."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Just- Ow!" I exclaim. I curl over onto my side in pain, "Just don't leave."

"I won't," he says as I move onto my back again.

"How long are you usually in pain?"

"Depends on the day. One time it was an hour, another time it was 12 hours."

"Damn. I'm sorry, babe."

"It's- Ow." I hate this feeling. This sucks. Plain and simple.

"What do I need to do? How can I help?"

I sigh, "Just keep talking to me. If my mind is busy, the pain isn't as apparent."

"Okay. Um... oh, did I tell you that we won our game against Balmara?"

"No. How'd it go?"

"It was awesome. Their lead pitcher tried throwing a fireball and blew out his right shoulder."

"Yikes. Is he okay?"

"He is now, but he can't play for the rest of the season."

"Dang," I start to feel a migraine coming on, but I ignore it and continue listening to his story.

"Yeah. But, their pitcher threw it right at me and I hit it at an angle that the right fieldsman caught it and dropped it. There was a huge argument whether it counted or not."

"Did it?"

"Hell no," he chuckles.

I smile, "Well, I'm glad you won. Congrats babe."

He leans forward and kisses me. I smile, "You know, I heard that kissing can decrease the side effects of chemo treatment. Maybe you should do it again," I joke.

He chuckles, "You're lucky you're sick or else that wouldn't have worked."

"That's a lie."

He smiles, "Yeah, it is," he stands up above me, leans down and kisses me again. He sits back down and he continues talking to me.

"What are your plans for this weekend?" I ask him.

"Probably spend it with you. Why?"

"Dylan. You are not spending your week watching me puke. There has to be something for you to do."

"Hmm... Oh, yeah. Mikey's throwing a party this Friday."

"Then, you should go to it."

"I'm not going without you. It's a glow in the dark beach party. There's no way I'm going to that alone."

I think of an idea, "Call Nurse Johanna in here."

He nods and walks out and back in with Johanna.

"What do you need, Ally? Ice chips? Heating blanket?"

"Oh, I'm fine right now. Today is a lot better."

"Then why was I called in here?"

"Because I have a question to ask you."

"What?"

I quickly come up with a lie, "Well, it's Dylan's birthday tomorrow and he's throwing a party. I was wondering if I could go."

"What kind of party?"

"A beach party. I promise I won't drink or smoke. Can I please go?"

She sighs, "As long as you stay with Dylan and pace yourself. You have the chemo regiment in your system, so you'll probably be tired," she looks to Dylan, "If she starts to act not normal, you need to make sure nothing happens."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well, if you promise to do that, you can go."

I smile, "You are literally my favorite nurse here."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm your favorite when you get something out of me."

I chuckle as she walks out of my room, "Love you too, Jojo! Guess it's time to go shopping for a swimsuit."