02

Alina had spent the last three days down in the cellar to prove to Damon that she was stable. They had come up with a solution for the drive to kill. Damon allows her one cup of blood every day. But now that the three days were over, it was time to Alina to get into the real world.

"If I let you out, you cannot leave this house until I give you this fancy little ring back." Damon held up Alina's daylight ring. "Got it?"

"Sir, yes sir." Alina smiled before Damon opened the cellar door and allowed Alina to walk out. She took the steps out the door and took a deep breath in and grabbed her ring. "You really need to clean down here."

Alina let out a small laugh before she walked upstairs and into the main living area. Her eyes fixated on the three girls who were all sitting on the couch.

"Oh, my god." The blonde girl said in a state of shock as they looked at the unfamiliar vampire.

"What the hell—" another girl started, but stopped when she say the look Damon was giving her.

"Now girls, lets all play nice. Alina, this is Bonnie, Caroline, and Elena. Bonnie, Caroline, Elena, this is Alina Carver." Damon introduced the girls to each other, but they were all still in shock that Alina was here.

"Dear god, another dopple-bitch. I need a drink." Alina said with wide eyed and a dramatic sigh. Damon hit her arm which earned a glare from her. "Sorry, Elena. That was terribly rude of me. Please keep in mind that the last one of your kind kind of screwed me over with the big man." Elena looked at the vampire in confusion. "Niklaus. More commonly known as spawn on satan, royal pain in my ass, or just Klaus."

"You know Klaus?" Bonnie asked, a hint of hope in her voice.

"Unfortunately, yes." Alina said with a straight face.

"Okay so hypothetically speaking, if he kidnapped your vampire friend and made him go on a killing spree for werewolves, where would he go?" Caroline asked as she stood up and walked closer to Alina who glanced over at Damon with furrowed brows.

"Show me what you've got."

••••••••••

Alina and the other girls all sat on the floor of Damon's room and looked through all of the papers. They were all over the east coast. Alina noticed a picture that had slid under the dresser next to the group and she reached for it and pulled it out to examine it. The picture was of a Elena and another man. Alina furrowed her eyebrows at the picture and ran her thumb across the man's face.

"What are you looking at, Carver?" Damon asked—Alina completely oblivious to his presence—as he walked over to her and grabbed the picture out of her hands.

"Who is that?" Alina questioned as she looked up at the blue-eyed vampire that began to crumble the picture and then throw it in the fire.

"No one important. Elena, I think it's time that you take Alina here back to your place for some good rest in a real bed." Damon spoke from behind Alina as he made a threatening face.

"Um, yeah, totally. I'll introduce you to my, uh, Alaric?" Elena said questioningly as she stood up.

"Sorry I couldn't have been more help. But if I think of anything then I will drop by or call Damon or something. Thank you again, Damon." Alina gave a soft smile before she and Elena walked out the door.

The remaining three waited until they heard Elena's car start and drive off. Damon's eyes changed from a soft expression to a cold one.

"Why? Why in the hell would you bring him up? You heard what Elijah said. She can't help us. Because of you all I am going to have to send her away again. Again!" Damon yelled at the two girls as he threw a picture frame above the fire place.

"You love her, don't you?" Caroline asked softly.

"She's my best friend. I can't lose her again. You all wouldn't understand." Damon said as he ran his hands down his face. "She can't see him again."

••••••••••

"What was Mystic Falls like when you were last here? Damon kind of filled us all in on the important stuff." Elena asked, trying to make conversation in an awkward situation.

"Small. It was a good town until it wasn't. Damon has been my best friend since he was about seventeen. Without him, I probably wouldn't have survived." Alina replied as her head leaned against the glass door.

"What do you mean?" Elena asked as she pulled into her driveway.

"I'm sure you heard about the night he died. Damon saved me." Alina spoke as she lifted her head and began to get out of the car. "Cute house."

"Yeah, I heard about that night." Elena said lowly, knowing that Stefan is the one who told her.

The two walked into the Gilbert house. Alina's eyes shifted to the couch as a man's figure was sitting up and looking over at the two.

"Ric, this is Alina." Elena introduced the two as she fiddled with the ends of her sleeve.

"I know who that is. You were off the rails for years. How are you back?" Alaric asked as he walked towards the vampire.

"A friend helped me." Alina spoke confidently.

"Okay, well I'm gonna get her settled in. Goodnight, Ric." Elena said with a huff before the two went upstairs. The teenager led Alina to her bedroom and opened the door for her to walk in. "You take my room for the night. I'm gonna sleep on the other couch."

"Thank you, Elena. You've been nothing but kind to me." Alina smiled before she watched Elena plug her phone into the wall and walk out of the bedroom.

Alina's eyes scanned the room as she took in her surroundings. She slowly walked towards the bed and took off her shoes before she crawled into it and turned the bedside lamp off. Her eyes were glued to the ruffled ceiling—a million and one thoughts were running through her head. But they stopped at the sound of buzzing against the wooden dresser. Alina stepped out of bed and walked over to Elena's phone. There wasn't a number and Elena wasn't in the room so the vampire hit the green button and brought the phone close.

"Uh, hello?" Alina spoke uneasily into the phone, only hearing breathing on the other side. "This is Alina, but if you're looking for Elena I can help you." The breathing on the other side stopped and then the call ended.

Alina set the phone back down with a furrowed brow. Why would a blocked number call and not say anything? It left the vampire puzzled.