Why Me?

All the eyes were on me. Well it's no wonder. I am 'The' new student. I entered the secretary's office. "I am Mahima Verma , may I have my locker number and schedule?" I said in my Indian accent. Yes, I am an Indian who just shifted to Florida in United States of America. Everybody expects me to be excited and happy but to be honest, I am not. Sure it was my dream to visit USA, mind you VISIT, and not live here. Well now I am here, so it would be better to make friends and study. Hey don't judge that quickly, I am not obsessed with studying but before school I got a 'pep talk' from my father telling me to study hard otherwise I won't be able to get in college and we don't have that much of money. Not that I am poor or something but still we all know how costly those colleges are.

After a while I proceeded towards my locker, everybody was minding their own business now. What did I expect? To be surrounded by people? Nope. I was never the 'attention seeker' type. But a few friends won't hurt. Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to be face to face with a guy. I took a step back and said "Yes?" He smiled politely and said "Can you please shift aside you are blocking my locker". "Oh I am so sorry, I am just not used to the concept of lockers..."I started blabbering. The guy chuckle a little and said "It's alright but how come you are not used to the concept of lockers?" I replied "well, I am from India and there we did not have locker instead we had to bring all the books with us every single day". "Oh well that must have sucked" he said in a horrified face. "Nah.it was fine it became our habit later on" I replied. Right on cue the first bell rang indicating that we are supposed to assemble in our homeroom. He left after that without even telling me his name. I sighed and said "Now let's look for room 210"and quickly ran towards the hallway. Thankfully I found my homeroom in no time. I enter the room and gave the admission slip to the teacher. She then said, "So Ma-Hee-Maa Ver-Ma –'' I winced and corrected her by pronouncing my name properly "Mahima Verma, Mrs. Holland". "Oh, I am sorry, please go and sit next to Zach" she said in an apologetic manner. I looked around and saw the guy I met earlier waving indicating he was Zach. I quickly went toward that seat and sat next to him. "So we should formally introduce ourselves?" I said while smirking. He smiled and said "Zach, Zach Liam, very nice to meet you". "The pleasure is all mine Zach" I replied. He asked "Would you like to hangout sometime?" I nodded. We exchanged our numbers. After that the bell rung for our second hour.

Zach's Point Of View

My friend came towards me and chatted then suddenly they started talking about Mahima. I reconfirmed by saying "Average height, Black hair till her waist, Tanned, Brown eyes?" They nodded and Mike added "And totally a Bomb". We all laughed while Mike got a scolding from his girlfriend, Vanessa. We were in the cafeteria when I saw Mahima looking around awkwardly. I felt bad for her and waved towards her to invite her to our table. She smiled and walked towards our table. She said "Hi, Can I sit here." Mike quickly piped in and said "Sure Mahima" and earned a death glare from Vanessa. We all chatted with her and got to know bizarre rules in Indian schools like You would get punished or even rusticated if you are caught dating someone. But soon they all warmed up to Mahima. The bell rang and we all hurriedly went to our classes.

Mahima's Point Of View

I left the class to go to the washroom when a blonde haired guy was beating a scrawny kid. I ran towards them and said in a firm voice. The blonde guy looked at me with a piercing look and said in a strong voice "It's none of your business, miss". He had gorgeous green eyed which made me hesitate for a minute but then I got my confidence and said "Leave him or else...". "OR ELSE WHAT" he shouted. I stood rooted there in fear. He glared at the boy and slowly walked away. I helped the kid get up and asked "What was his name?" He gave me a pained look and said almost inaudibly "Lucas, Lucas Jackson".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you all like it, please vote and comment! And please correct my mistakes

-Priya Singh