30 ♛ regretful

Madeline could feel the effect of the cocaine she had taken slowly wear off

Madeline could feel the effect of the cocaine she had taken slowly wear off. It must have been bad quality. The high barely lasted an hour. Her cocaine-coloured goggles were slowly becoming clearer and she knew she would experience a crash quite soon. A deep and dull sadness would consume and swallow her up whole. Her morality would slowly reappear, along with her conscience and that little annoying angel on her shoulder would become louder and louder, drowning out any sinful thoughts Maddie had.

  "Time for another bump," She chirped to no one in particular. She couldn't risk the crash. She would have to stay on top of that rollercoaster as long as possible.

  It was loud, too loud like thunder clapping its hands together. Madeline didn't realise how much she was sweating. It was as hot as the deepest fire pits of hell. She could feel her heart pumping, threatening to leap out of her chest. Smiling, she realised the heavenly powder had set in. Maybe too quick though. She needed fresh air badly.

Pushing through the masses, she stumbled through the crowd. Her arms seemed weak against the jumpy partygoers and it was a struggle to reach the door. Finally, she reached the outside which was filled with smokers and nobodies who failed to get invites (and yet they still stupidly thought they could get in....Rookie mistake).

Madeline planted herself on abandoned steps and leaned against the railing. She made a futile attempt to try and slow down her pulse by holding in her breath. Suddenly, she could feel her pulse go back to normal as the only guy who could make her heartbeat slow down stood in front of her. She looked up to meet his gaze, suddenly becoming mesmerised by his eyes. He was dressed as some fairytale prince. A crown sat crookedly on his curls and she wanted so desperately to fix it for him.

"Madeline." He stated, acknowledging her presence. She felt weak.

"Oliver," She rasped.

He took a long drag from the death-stick he was holding and sighed. "It's been a while."

  "Yes... it has." She held in her breath.

  It took her by surprise when he planted himself right beside her, only a finger-length away.

"Um, won't your girlfriend be pissed you're with me."

He sighed. "Yup. But I need to warn you. She's planning on humiliating you tonight."

Madeline was caught off guard and her mouth gaped open. "Why are telling me this?"

He let out a weak laugh and faced her. Madeline was afraid someone would mistake their proximity for something else and she anxiously looked around. Just as she thought, they had caught people's attention. Nora was going to be pissed.