The Beginning Of The End

My story takes place in a small town with a population of around 800 people. A suburb hidden within the forrest, with a main highway cutting straight through the middle, almost dividing it. I am, what you would call, an average young man. I am 25 years old, approximately 5'9, weighing 75kg and works in construction. I have long, dark brown hair, brown eyes, with somewhat of a muscular build.

On a rather warm, sunny day in February, I went to the local pub in the hills of the eastern suburbs to meet a friend for a few drinks. We had arranged to meet each other at 3pm, but I had arrived there relatively early, around 2:40pm, so I decided to get myself a drink and wait for him. I sat down at one of the tables, close to the main entrance of the building so it would be easy for my friend to spot me.

A couple of minutes into my drink, I looked around and saw a young woman, sitting at the far back of the seating area, all by herself, with what appeared to be an upset expression on her face. I glanced at my watch, thought to myself, "looks like I have a few minutes to spare", got up and walked over to where she was seated. I approached her and said "excuse me miss, are you alright?" She jumps a little and looks up at me.

This young woman was 24 years of age, and absolutely beautiful to say the least. She stood just a little shorter than me, around 5'7. She had long, dark blonde, almost brown hair, with elegant movements like silk dancing effortlessly in the wind. Her eyes were an amazing shade of blue that sparkled more magnificent than the stars in a perfectly clear night sky.

"I'm sorry if i startled you", I say. "I noticed you were sitting here all alone and you looked upset so I wanted to see if you were alright" She begins to relax, and tells me that I didn't need to apologise for scaring her. "I'm sorry", she says in a quiet, but calming tone. "My mind was in a completely different world". Her voice was soft, but welcoming.

I felt like I had gone to heaven and was greeted by an angels song. I swear she could hypnotise anyone just by sound alone. I almost believed that I was, just by listening. So gentle and sincere. I asked her if anything was the matter, to which she replied, "I was meant to be meeting my older brother, as I am visiting here for a few days.

We had organised to meet at 2:15 but he called me and said that there was an accident at work and that he wasn't going to make it today". I tell her that I was sorry she was unable to meet with him and that I hoped the accident wasn't too bad. She thanks me for the concern for her brother and manages to rise a slight smile.

I introduce myself, confidently "I'm Michael, by the way". "Alice", she says brightly. "It's nice to meet you". I joyfully tell her "likewise", and we sit together, telling each other small things about ourselves for the next 15 minutes. At around 3:04pm, my friend walks into the pub. I spot him, and signal for him to make his way over to where Alice and myself were seated.

I introduce Alice to my friend, Jordan, and they exchange pleasantries. I offered for her to stick around and join us for a drink, but she respectfully declines. She tells me that she has to head back to her hotel room and pack for her plane trip back home over east the next day. I ask if I may give her my phone number for her to contact at her leisure, and she agrees. Alice offers me her number also, we say our goodbyes and I wish her a pleasant trip back home.

She turns back to face me as she is walking out the door, blesses me with a kind smile, and she disappears. After Jordan and I spend the next hour, talking and drinking, we decide to part ways. I live relatively close by, only about a 5 minute walk, so I was able to have a few more drinks than my friend. He lives 30 minutes from his home and was only able to have 2.

A couple of months go by, and throughout that time, Alice and I have exchanged text messages and phone calls multiple times, telling each other about our lives and where we live. It started off friendly for the first few weeks but started developing into a slightly flirtatious friendship. One day, at the end of April, Alice tells me that her and and her mother were moving houses and that they will be living in a town roughly 45 minutes away from where I live.