Chapter 2

The next day was hell, I stumbled from class to class mindlessly, until finally I was sent to the Nurse; apparently, I was ‘as pale as a ghost!’, or so Ms Bernard thought. I felt like a ghost, nothing seemed to matter anymore.

 It had been almost a year since I transferred to Lady Adelaide’s Grammar School for Girls, or ‘Hell’ to Roxanne and I. Roxanne… she had been an angel since the day I arrived, no matter how strange the other girls said I was behind my back. I can still remember the first day I met her; I had only just arrived, with tears pouring down my face as I was escorted to my new room. She had come in to say hello, just to be polite, and ended up staying to comfort me for most of the night. I felt guilty, not even the closest friend I had knew my past, and was subject to the lies I had fabricated to protect it.

When the final bell rang, I made my way up the thousands of stair to my dorm. It was quite as usual; after seeing my ‘traumatising’ past in the file handed over with me, they had decided not to trouble me any further. The quite was supposed to be ‘relaxing’ or even ‘soothing’, but honestly I found it quite spooky. After a few minutes, I heard the first of stampede of people to come pounding up the stair and found the noise comforting, I no longer felt like the only person in the world; and believe me, I did not need reminding of the days I had spent on my own in the mountains.

                After a while Roxanne wondered in after an afternoon of sport, she was always so busy, I don’t know how she kept on top of things. It was nice to talk to someone after a day of silence, even if I did have to lie about my nightmares. I didn’t know how I was going to keep up with my endless string of fabrications, it had been the second dream this month and I knew more were ahead. Just when I had felt like I was finally able to move on, hikers had found his body and there had been the funeral. Now my past was really coming back to haunt me.