PROLOGUE

"So what happened last night?", asked Agent Danvers.

The police officer sat in this very plain room with spartan furniture and a recorder. He was the very epitome of authority with his gun hanging idly at his hip, reflecting Damon's handcuffs in his over-large sunglasses.  Damon's brain had shut down. He was clammy and there was the glisten of a cold sweat.

"Last night?", he confirmed the question. He frowned. He then recalled. His eyes became as wide as if someone was coming to deliver a fatal blow. Yet what he saw, no-one else could see. Trapped in his own psychosis, a living nightmare for one, tailor-made by his own brain to play on his deepest fears.  Alas, nothing that he would utter would calm his current feelings. He wants to shout. But he knew that the walls there, tend to have some partial soundproofing too- not to stop annoying noise getting into the room but to muffle his screams.

"Damon... Damon, look at me!", Danvers said in a high pitched voice.

"You wouldn't believe me", Damon replied.

"You're damn right! I've seen your record. I know what you are, what you've done... But I don't judge people based on their past.", he said.

Damon's thinking was so distorted. What if he can't convince him? Danvers seemed smart enough.  But was he smart enough to see the truth? Damon saw no way out. Maybe... just maybe the only way was, to tell the truth. But the truth was what scared him. No one would believe the truth. No one usually does. But Danvers will. He must. And he will! But for that, Damon needs to unmask the lies that surrounded him. Those beautiful lies that cost him... everything!

Finally, he faced Danvers and uttered the words: "Pay real attention..."