two: luna jean

heart hope by oh wonder

•••

JUSTIN

I watched her as she sat far away from all of us at the boundary of the football court.

Reena was playing so no one else bothered to company her. Nor did I. Jack kept kicking the ball in her direction purposely but when she caught it, all she did was place it inside the boundary, just in front of her and did not bother to throw it any further and then went back to picking on the grass blades.

She completes a week in this hell hole today and we've barely heard her talk. All she does is sit in the bedroom and cry the entire day.

She hasn't tried to escape after the first day at all and she barely moves so her doing something suspicious is off the table.

"She's a weirdo ain't she?" Fiona said and I looked beside me to find her sitting there.

"Weirdo? How to expect an innocent person to be when they're captured by a dangerous gang?" I asked and she looked at me.

"You seem to sympathize with her a lot. That's very unlike you" She said and I shook my head.

"That's the least I can do Fiona, I anyways do and say stupid stuff around her that keeps hurting her and all this is my fault. She's here because of me. I ruined whatever regular life she was living" I said.

"She ruined her own life Justin. She should've just ran away and never looked back" She said.

"She was there picking flowers for fuck sake Fiona. How would a normal person feel when they see someone shoot a guy dead in front of them while they were merely collecting flowers there? It's normal for us not for her!" I said.

"Okay jeez chill" She laughed.

"Forget that, I was here to ask you if you'll be coming over to my room tonight. It's been a while" She said after she placed her chin on my shoulder and I gently shrugged her off.

"I don't feel like it, I'm not in the mood. Plus I have to keep a watch on Luna" I said.

"But Justin you can just-

"Hey Jack, can I come in now?" I asked, ignoring her.

"Oh yeah, Reena, time for a break, Justin in!" He said and I sprang up.

Reena sat down beside Luna and started a conversation. It really surprises me how Reena and Fiona are worlds apart even inspite of being sisters. Reena is nurturing and caring and understanding while Fiona is completely opposite.

I started playing while occasionally glancing at them. Reena was doing most of the talking while Luna answered with nods and single words.

And then I was reminded that I have to teach her to use a gun for self defence.

After the match, I showered up and when I came out, I found her sitting on the bed doing absolutely nothing. She needs to gel up before she drives herself crazy like that.

"Uh, can you come with me, we have to do something important" I said.

She looked at me for a couple seconds before nodding without any amends.