Chapter 1

Fear pulsed through Samantha. The gunshot ringing in her ear, then another one fired. 

She heard one thud... then her mother's body fell in somewhere front of her with another sickening thud. She imagined her mother's body, with strands of her Carmel hair covering her face, blood pooling around her head. Her sightless eyes staring never to see again. She let out a whimper Andy hugged her knees closer to her chest Andy forced the thought away.

She was under a table, this was a deadly game of hide and seek. Her mother shoving her under, before she knew what was happening. Then the door gave way, in the dying rays of sunlight which now shone through the doorframe, where the door had once stood proudly. 

Samantha couldn't hear the harsh protest as the hitmen turned over tables, and opened cabinets in their search for her, it was only a matter of time before she met her parents' fate too. 

Think Samantha! Think! She thought, what would Griffin do?  She wouldn't have hidden like a baby, she would've wrestled the gun out of on each of their hands, punching him and knocking him out, then spun to shoot the other one. She would've saved her parents. But Samantha was useless! It was her fault that was Griffin was gone, I  killed my parents. Her pity party didn't last much longer than that, for a hand that looked so scared and burnt like it had been put in a toaster for 10 minutes too long reached under the table cloth and started pulling it up. 

Her heart stopped. This was the end. And because she had gotten Griffin killed, so she couldn't save them now! Some deep instinct urged her to run, so she bolted to Griffin's room, slamming the door behind her and locking it. 

Her eyes swept the room, finally landing on Griffin's bug-out bag that she always kept, ready in case of an emergency, if I ever needed it, now would be that time, she is bought bitterly as she flung it hastily onto her back, thumbing with the clip that clipped the straps together.

By now her pursuers has reached the door and were trying to break it down. "Give it up girl! Your family's dead," he emphasized dead, putting an edge on it that was as sharp as any knife, "you have nothing left to live for. So do yourself a favor, and give it up." 

Samantha picked up a chair and yelled, "There's always something left to live for!" And threw it at the window, shattering it instantly. She leaped onto the window, hissing as a glass sharp pressed deep into her forearm, close to her wrist. 

Just then the door shattered, and the hitmen fell inside attempting to scramble to their feet. Samantha leaped out if the window, landing heavily on her toes and her hands. A gunshot fired where she had just been. 

She hesitanted for an instant, she was leaving everything she had known, her parents. There's nothing left for me here, she thought bitterly, the hitmen we're right about that part. 

Without a second thought she sprinted off into the dying sunlight. She wasn't sure if the gunshots she heard were those of the gunmen shooting at her, or of the echo of the ones that took everything away from her.