SAM I

April 2, 2037

0-o-0-o-0-o-0-o-0

I remember the day the world ended.

I'm fine. Or at least that's what I kept telling myself. But don't worry about me. This isn't a story about me. This is a story about them.

I was only twelve when it happened. At the time, my biggest worries were waking up in time for school and making friends. But that was before the colossal black ship penetrated Earth's defensive systems, emerging from the sky.

Our classroom was enormous. It was a large open room with cheesy motivational posters plastered across the wall; our teacher always had a positive outlook on everything. Outside, kids ran rampant, pushing and shoving each other for control of the playground.

I rested my chin in my hands and turned to the next page of my book. Playing outside with the other little Tasmanian Devils looked like hell to me, so I preferred to stay inside with a good book most days.

That day at Greendale Elementary started like any other, but it would end as a day to remember. A day that would kick off a new dawning, a new era of death and domination.

"Sammy? Are you all right?" my teacher, Mrs. Becker, asked, sitting down on the edge of my desk. She had a soft voice. In all my years in elementary school, I'd never heard it raised, no matter how awful anyone was behaving. I looked up at her, nodded, then continued reading.

She flashed me a bright smile, but underneath it was a hint of worry. "Good, I'm glad to hear that." Then she paused. "You do know I worry about you Sam, don't you?"

I put down my book and looked up at her innocently. Mrs. Becker let out a deep sigh. "We both know you're a smart kid, but it might do you some good to play with other kids your age sometimes." I looked out the window, unsure of how to feel.

"And who knows? Maybe you'll actually have some fun," said Mrs. Becker encouragingly.

The door to the outside opened, and Jenny Walker ran into the classroom. "Are you going to come out, Sammy?" said Jenny, panting and looking at me with her bright blue eyes. "We're playing kickball!"

"Looks like you have a friend," said Mrs. Becker. "Why don't you go join her?"

I looked down at my book, then I looked at Jenny, conflicted. She gave me a reassuring smile and reluctantly I stood up. "I'll be right out," I said, giving her a smile back.

"Great," she said. "I'll be waiting for you!"

"That wasn't so hard now, was it?" Mrs. Becker said once Jenny had left. I shrugged nonchalantly, putting my book away.

"Hi, Sam!" said Jenny enthusiastically, waiting outside for me. I jogged to meet her, and joined the other kids on the field. My eyes stung in the glare of the sun, and the smell of freshly-cut grass filled the air.

"Okay, who gets the bookworm?" said a tall, beefy kid, Austin, I think his name was. A few other kids snickered. His cronies.

"C'mon Austin, cut it out," said Jenny, flashing me an apologetic smile. "Let's play already!"

"You can be on my team," said a quiet voice. It was the new kid, Kevin. He seemed nice enough, but I hadn't really gotten to know him; he was just too shy.

"Thanks," I said, walking over to join his team.

"Oh, looks like the worm's got a new friend: Toothpick," said Austin, sneering. He shoved Kevin in the chest, sending him to the ground. "You sure you want him? Your team's already losing."