The Challenge

Angels and demons quietly gathered around their masters, waiting nervously for them to reach their decision.

     "Come now, Lord, surely you've tired of fighting against my powers all these years?" The devil grinned maliciously.

     "Calling it a fight is giving yourself too much credit, Morning Star," The Lord replied. "Repeatedly reprimanding a stubborn dog would be a better description."

      The devil scoffed. "Is that why humans are naturally drawn to do evil? Surely if you're as in control as you claim people would behave better?"

      "Yes, humans tend to follow you, but they still set morals by which they live. And any soul can be saved. You know this."

      "And any soul can be corrupted. Which is why I propose a challenge, my Lord. Prove your 'morals' can withstand corruption. And I'll prove my evil can withstand salvation," he looked down at the world. "Shall we say, 14 people? Seven virtues and seven vices who must get rid of each other to obtain victory."

       "Very well. On one condition: taking their life isn't an option."

     The devil extended a hand. "Agreed. Winner takes all. They control the world and its inhabitants without any meddling from the losing side. Do we have a deal?"

     The Lord contemplated for a moment, then took the devil's hand. "We do."

      With those words the celestial beings departed to find their seven deadly sins and heavenly virtues.