Chapter Twenty

The castle stretched towards the dark sky. The moon was the only thing illuminating the otherwise dark and desolate world. If there was an omen to be had, this was it.

     For all the jokes, puns and other simple things I wanted to make at the events unfolding, I knew better. I was Tobias. I was the Ferryman and creator of all life in the fey lands. Everyone was looking to me for support.

     But with our lack of an army, I had no idea how we were going to make it out alive.

     The Icen Queen had weeks to prepare her forces while we had run around, searching for the Gate Key and the Ferryman. All we had to contend with her were the shifters, the elves and the Kashi. While that should have been enough, something told me that—if her death was close approaching—her powers would be coming in.

     Ellynora was always the one specially gifted.

     I stood at the top of the steps and right in front of the palace doors. I knew she would be waiting for us to come inside. She would know that we were coming—but not this soon. We had the element of surprise—for now.

     “Friends,” I called out loudly. “Family. Warriors. This war ends today. We are taking back our lands, returning our rulers to their rightful thrones! This is dangerous. Many of us will be hurt and some may not make it out alive. Regardless, I am thankful for all of you who are here. Let’s bring this to an end!”

     The entire group was silent, but I could hear the cheers they wanted to give. If they made too much sound, the Queen would know we were here.

     If she didn’t already.

     I walked down the steps carefully, glancing from person to person and even recognizing a few. Briaith with Veera and the remaining shifters. The Elven Queen stood haggardly in the corner, her dark skin pale with worry as she spoke with the others of her kind. Several goblins scurried around her feet and I even spotted a few golems that lurked quietly along the edge of the group.

     Altogether, we probably had about two hundred and fifty warriors. It would be a blessing if we had that many when we came out.

     “Tobias,” Reitna said softly, her hand touching my own. “This will be…hard. Especially for Valin.”

     “I know,” I said softly. “Years of friendship aren’t gone just because I remember who I am. I’m still Jack. There are things about me that won’t change. I won’t be the same Tobias as before.”

     She nodded, her gaze falling to the ground and I pulled her to me, arms wrapping tightly around her. She was warm.

     “That doesn’t mean I don’t still love you,” I went on. “But you are not the same Reitna either. You are Clarity. Clarity and Jack or two lives that we lived without knowing or understanding. They won’t go away and we can never go back.”

     “It’s not a bad thing,” she replied. “Every experience—”

     “Only changes your perspective,” I cut it, cupping her jaw. “I know. You told me that when our daughters wanted to enter the world.”

     She smiled and I brushed her hair back.

     “Jack,” Valin said thinly, calling my attention to him. “I mean Tobias. I think we should hurry. The Queen won’t stay quiet forever and we don’t know how much is awaiting us on the inside.”

     “Valin,” I sighed, releasing Reitna and patting his shoulder. “It’s Jack. I’m the same guy who called you honey bun and ordered a large plate of spaghetti. I’m the same guy who you played with as a child. The very same who lied to you and all that other fun bull shit.” I smiled. “You’re still my best friend.”