Sam Calin

"You don't need to sleep out here, you know?"

"Your couch is perfectly fine, Sam, thank you very much."

"Hey, I'm not forcing you to do anything, I'm just saying it's okay if you wanna come sleep in my room."

Sarah was reluctant. It was cold in the living room, but she despised the thought of being closer than necessary to Sam Calin.
Still, she thought for a moment.

"Would you sleep on the other end of the bed?"

Sam giggled.

"Yes, yes I would, Sarah"

"And could I have a blanket of my own?"

She asked without staring into Sam's face. His eyes were far too blue, lips far too rosy. He had very dark hair on top of it all. All those things made her feel things she shouldn't.

"Sure, if that's what you want."

"Fine, then... But if you touch me I'll scream!"

Sam rolled his eyes, but nodded.

"Come with me, then"

Sarah hated herself for entering Sam Calin's room. Haven't, like, all girls in school been there?
She thought of asking that, so she did.

"How many girls have you brought here?"

Sam chuckled.

"Why do you wanna know?"

Sarah went quiet but Sam went on

"Not many, Sarah. I'm really not who people make me out to be."

"You're a poorly written cliché, Samuel Calin, don't try to play me."

Sarah climbed up on his bed and went to the far end of the left side. She turned around and covered herself with the blanket he'd given her.

Sam lied on the other end of the bed but he had gone quiet. She wanted to know why but wouldn't look at him. All of a sudden, he said:

"Can I ask you something?"

Sarah got chills from that question, but she nodded after a couple of seconds.

"Um, ok... Why did you choose to do this project thing with me if you hate me so much?"

"It's a trick question", she thought. But she answered:

"You know I didn't have a choice, Calin."

Sam giggled and shook his head.

"That is simply not true. You could've chosen, like, 3 other people on that list."

It was true... Sarah didn't know why she'd picked Calin. She hated him. I mean... Didn't she?

Sam went on

"I know it's trendy for girls your type to hate me."

"And what is that type, exactly, Samuel Calin?" Sarah faced him for the first time in the conversation, angry at him for making assumptions.
Sam drew himself closer to her.

"The little miss neat type of girl, Sarah Barnett." He said, using her own wording against her. "I know you think I'm some sort of bad boy or whatever, but you're out of your mind."

Sarah got even angrier.

"Oh, yeah, and why is that?"

Sam rolled his eyes again, shocked with her disbelief.

"I'M A VIRGIN, FOR GOD'S SAKE! I may flirt with every girl at that school but I didn't go out with more than five of them! You don't know me, Sarah. And that's why you wanted to come here today. That's why I'm your partner on this thing. You just wanted to prove yourself wrong!"

Sarah got angrier and angrier, but the sad angry, which led her to start crying. She yelled, in tears:

"STOP ASSUMING THINGS ABOUT ME!"

"But that's all you've ever done, isn't it? You wouldn't give me a chance with a gun to your head and now you're asking me not to make assumptions. Get over yourself, Sarah!"

This time it was Calin who turned to the other side, bringing his blanket over his head.

They both stayed in silence for a bit. Then Sarah asked:

"I don't get it, though... Why would you want me to give you a chance?.."

Sam stayed quiet. For a moment Sarah thought he fell asleep, so she dragged herself closer. Carefully, with the tip of her fingers, she moved a bit of his hair out of his face to try and see if he was sleeping. That's when his face turned to her, his deep, blue eyes looking right into hers.

"Well, I don't know if you're really that blind or if you're just playing hard to get and want me to say it, but I kind of sort of like you, Sarah. I always did and I was never mean to you or any of your friends. I never even understood why you disliked me so much..."

Inadvertedly, at each of his words Sarah pulled her face closer to his, her hair falling on his cheeks. She had never seen Sam Calin that way. He liked her? Sam Calin... Liked her?

As she drew herself closer, Sam got his arm out from inside the blanket and placed his hand on the back of her head

"I, I don't understand, Sam, I wouldn't have ever thought, in a million years that-"

Then he shut her mouth with a kiss, one hand on the back of her head and the other running his fingers down her face.

She didn't stop him. She went with it. Sarah got on top of him and let Sam guide her as they made out. He liked her. Sam Calin liked her. And all of a sudden he wasn't all that bad anymore.

When they pulled away their lips, Sarah touched his forehead with hers and whispered:

"I don't think I hate you all that much afterall, Calin."