Chapter 3

"Is someone here?" A curious voice asks as the door opens. It's currently 5:30pm and Darren should be out of daycare 30 minutes ago. I was worried the whole time being stuck in here.

I quickly turn to the door as it opens, revealing a tall, slim guy with black hair, looking straight at me.

"Oh it's you. We sit close to each other in class my name is Dy- Hey where are you going!" He shouts as I dash out the door, running as fast as I can to go to the daycare center.

Darren please be okay. Please be okay.

"Hey wait up!" The tall black hair guy shouts as I continue to run. I don't need any problems right now. I just need to go to Dar.

"Dar! Where are you?" I shout as I reach the daycare center.

"Dar? Are you here?" I say again.

"Alice!" I quickly turn around to see Dar staring at me as he runs to me quickly, hugging me tightly.

"Did you forget about me again Alice? Did I do something wrong?" Darren asks as he sobs on my shirt.

I look down at him, wiping his tears. "I would never ever leave you Dar. I love you so much to ever leave you." I pull him into a hug as he continues to sob.

There's just so much pressure on him for a 5 year old. He deserves better. So so much better.

"There you are! What kind of person doesn't say thank- Why are you crying?" It's the guy who opened the door for me.

Don't be involved. Don't.

I wipe my tears as I shake my head. I pull Darren's hand as I walk to the guy. "Thank you for opening the door for me." I say as I start to walk home with Darren beside me, walking.

"Alice? Who's that?" Darren asks as I look at him, shrugging my shoulders, indicating that I don't know. Darren nods as he quietly skips on the way home.

I greet the guards as I walk in the gate and into my home, being greeted by the maids and butlers. I nod at them as the maids take Darren to the bathe.

I look at Peter, the butler who is much closer to me than the others.

"Did they fight again?" I ask as I see sharp pieces of broken things that are being swept by the maids on the floor. He looks at me, closing his eyes for a while then nodding.

I rub my temple and walk into my room. Even if we have about 6 spacious bedrooms, Darren still sleeps with me just because he is scared. I don't really mind it as he is just too precious to me. I wouldn't want him to be hurt. Especially not my parents. He used to look up to them so much but I guess things change over time.

I sigh as I lay on my bed after having a nice warm shower. I look at Darren, fast asleep on his bed.

He must have been tired from all the sobbing. I close my eyes and start to think.

Why am I always being targeted by them?

Why are the new guys sitting so close to me?

Why is this happening to me?

I must have thought too much as I fell asleep right away.

"Alice Winters." I get up quickly, looking at my dad right in the eye a bit shocked that he is waking me up instead of asking the maids to wake me up.

"Yes dad?" I whisper as I look over to Darren who is still sleeping soundly as I look back at my dad.

"Come with me." He says in his usual strict tone. I get up and follow him out the door, making sure that I shut the door softly to avoid waking Darren up.

"What are these!" He shouts as he throws a set of papers on the table, making me jump a little.

"How could you score so low! You are the daughter of the Winters!" He shouts again as I bite my lip. I've been trying so hard to study all my life. My average score in school is already 90%. It's the highest record. Does he not see my hard work?

"Are there distractions in school?" He asks as he pinches the bridge of his nose.

I shake my head lightly. "No." I say.

"Then you should be getting an average of 95% at least!" He shouts as he pushes the papers to the floor. I look at the papers that are scattered on the floor, biting my lower lip even louder.

"Alice?" I quickly look over at the door as I see Darren at the door, rubbing his eyes. I quickly walk over to Darren as I grab his hand and walk out the door and into my room.

"Alice.." Darren calls. I look at his pained expression as I realized how tightly I am gripping onto his hand. I let go quickly and sigh.

"I'm sorry Dar. I didn't mean to hurt you."

" It's okay Ally. I'm fine. Are you okay?" he asks as he sits on his bed, looking up at me with those light brown eyes filled with innocence.

I smile and shake my head. "Get some sleep Dar." I say as I close my eyes and kiss his forehead, going to sleep myself.

"Ms. Alice? Do you need a ride to school?" Peter asks even when he knows that I wouldn't refuse. I shake my head as I put on my sneakers and take my morning walk to school.

Beep!

I look over to the sound of the horn as eggs are thrown towards me.

"Oops! Hope you don't get more lice than you already have Lice Girl!" The guy from the car shouts as they drive past.

Was that really necessary?

Are they targeting me even when I'm not in school?

Did I really do something bad to deserve this?

I sigh as I sit on the grass at the side of the sidewalk.

This is the worst. I can't possibly go back like this.

Nor do I want to go to school like this.

"It's you."