Part One

The night is young, the sun just beginning to fall behind the mountains surrounding the town. The cool breeze flowing through the house, and the light smell of cigarettes floating around every room. The sound of wooden chess pieces tapping against the smooth, hard board. The smell of coffee filling my nose as Jacob and Trenten finish their game and come into the living room where i am. The front door is open, and the screen door is closed. The orange sun projecting shadows against the school across the street. Jacob and Trenten begin to play Smash Ultimate, and i watch them play. I pull a pack of cigarettes out of my pocket and light it up, inhaling the smoke and relaxing into the couch.
    Controllers click and the two trash talk each other as i continue to smoke my tensions away. Each breath shortening my life, but also shortening my stress. I tell Jacob and Trenten that i am going to head to the store and grab some more smokes, and asked if they wanted any. You see, i am 18, and both Trenten and Jacob are 17, so i have to buy the cigarettes. They both wanted camel crush, so i grab my money, ID, car keys, and head out to the car. Driving by the train tracks has become an everyday thing. I grew up and walked down these train tracks ever since i was a kid. I always walked down them, but i never went past the bridge. I have always wondered what it was like to just let go of all the responsibilities and just ride the rails, not knowing where you're going. Just enjoying the ride and the freedom.
    I get the cigarettes and head home, with the overwhelming urge to just ride the rails out of town with some friends. I pull into the driveway and lock the door as i walk up the porch stairs. The sun is out of sight, but the sky is still brightly lit orange. The air is cool and fresh, with a slight breeze making my shirt wave a little. I walk in, Trenten and Jacob still yelling at each other while playing the Nintendo Switch. I toss them both their cigarettes, and sit down without saying a word. Jacob eyeballs me, knowing something is on my mind.
    "What are you thinking about?" he asks me, snapping me out of my spaced out state.
    "Man, this sounds wild. But i always wanted to just hop on a train passing behind my house and just ride it, you know? Just see where it takes me and just explore."
    I look up to see the both looking at me with a confused but excited look on their face. I was confused, were they going to roast me? Make fun of me? Want to do it? I couldn't read their facial expression, and for a second i felt stupid for even bringing it up. Trenten got a big smile on his face and looked at Jacob and then me.
    "That actually sounds really cool!" Exclaimed Trenten with his smile still big.
    Jacob looked a little iffy about it. "I don't know man, that is illegal and all."
    Trenten gives him a 'shut your mouth' look. "We smoke cigarettes and weed underage, you're really going to complain about it being illegal?"
    Jacob looks down and thinks. He eventually agrees with it.
    "Wait!" I exclaim abruptly. "We should get Riley to go with us. He can supply weed, knives, and guns for our trip. Freight hopping is dangerous."
    They both shake their heads in agreement. We all grab a smoke and put it in our mouth, then run out into the car. I grab a lighter out of my pocket, light my cigarette, and pass it for the other two to light up. We roll down the windows a little, cool air flowing in and taking the smoke right out of the car. We drive for roughly three minutes before we make it to Riley's house. We knock on the door, and are met by Riley.
    "Sup niggers." Says Riley.
    Riley is 19 years old, he is Mexican-American, and we have been friends since Kindergarten. Riley isn't racist, he just calls us that because he knows we aren't offended by it and we all laugh about it.
    "Hey what's up mayne," i say to him as we all walk into the garage.
    Riley is already smoking a blunt, so we all pass it around as i explain our train hopping adventure. He takes a fat drag off the blunt, sucks it in with a slight grimace on his face. He blows out the smoke and looks at my direction, ready to tell me what is on his mind.
    "Listen, as great and fun as that sounds, it's not going to happen." He says this as he looks at me with a straight face.
    "C'mon man at least think about it, we can do it there's four of us!" Trenten says with little frustration.
    "I'm just fucking with you!" Shouts Riley as he bursts into laughter.
    "Ah, fuck you Riley." I say as i laugh alongside with Riley and the others.

Editors Note: This is merely a work in progress, i plan to add onto this story in the future. Until then, i hope you enjoy my work!!