My Name is Thresh (Short Story)

The wind blows, its warmth making me sweat. But I stay clear of emotions, not now, when the world is watching.

A few feet beside me stands Rue Flint, the female tribute for District Eleven. She stands still, looking down her shoes, away from the prying eyes of those in front of us. She happens to be a family friend. The mayor just finished his yearly Treaty of Treason. We were rushed to the Justice Building immediately.

The velvet covers of the couch felt soft and comfortable across my skin, but it never will beat the weaved blankets my grandmother make. The room is fully furnished, complete with dazzling array of furniture. And to think that our houses are just made of weak wood.

It's quite fascinating, to think that it's my last year for the games, and here I am, in the room where I'll say goodbye to the ones I love, and probably the last time to do it.

My grandmother, the only family I have, rushes inside it and hugs me reassuringly. She strokes my face and cries. I have never seen her cry. Not once.

"Come back Thresh, I know you can do it." She says between heavy sobs. Her cries made my eyes water. "You have to win and come back, I can't imagine life without you, Promise me."

"I promise, grandma. I will miss you." is all I can say. The moment is too short for words. After three minutes, a Peacekeeper comes in to drag her out. Anger consumes me as his built arms drastically dragged her frail form. I go for him and slap his hand away from her.

" Don't you dare touch her." I say, looking at him squarely in the eye. He backs off, and I guide her towards the door. She reaches for my forehead and kisses it, and turns her back. One thing I admire about her is her pride.

The next person was, surprisingly, Rue's father. We work together in the orchards, that's why we both have strong muscles and great built. 

"Thresh, I know I'm being selfish, but I won't like it if you're the one to finish Rue off, if it happens," he chokes.

"Sir, I will try my best to stay clear from her." I reply, with my formal tone. It hurts h\me that he's miserable, far from the brave person I know.

After a while, we were boarded on the train. It's a long way, considering that we are one of the isolated districts. Our mentor is Greg, a fellow who won the games nine years ago. As usual, he's drunk. I am very tired, so I rush in my room.

--

It's been a day since we are in the train, we were eating lunch when we passed through a dark tunnel.

"We are almost there!" Our district escort said. The tunnel ride was long too, and after it revealed the Capitol, or as Rue called it, "Color mess". Our District is not adroned by various colorful designs, but instead we have fruits and colorful flowers, They're natural, and provide a calming effect. Not like this. Everything's phony and fake.

The Capitol's vibrantness attracted Rue, and she's peaking out the window. I closely follow after her.

"Wave, you two!" Greg calls out from the table. Rue suppresses a grin and waves to the crazy Capitol citizens outside. I do the same. They're potential sponsors.

--

It's been five days. It's my last night in the Capitol. I'm going to enter the arena tomorrow. When we arrived at the Capitol, my prep team came and greeted me. And by greeted I mean getting cleaned thoroughly with crazy concotions and stingy chemicals the Capitol made. After the prepping up, they said I looked "less like a monkey". I don't know if it's a compliment or not.

The chariots are okay, Rue and my costume are somewhat similar, we both looked like sheperds, in over-alls and stuff. Rue just kept giggling all the way through the parade, and she was stunned by the District behind us. District Twelve's attire was superb, they are in black leotards and they are on fire. They are finess, perfect, and they charmed the crowd. I could tell the other districts seem pissed, and I should too, but seeing Rue so amazed and happy with it softens my mood.

Training is okay too, I distance myself from tributes, especially potential competition. I chuck heavy weights to the dummies, slit phony thoats with swords, and learn to survive by going to various survival stations. I picked a thing or two though.

The Careers also asked me to be in their alliance, with their leader, Cato. I turned their invitation down, and I looked at Rue. She grinned in approval. I know she'd hate it if we'll have to kill each other when the alliance is broken. Cato mutters profanities under his breath, and Rue and I laugh loudly.

The private sessions went well, I got a ten, like the two Careers. I did what I did best: throw weights. Rue managed to get a seven, and I know that she jumped around and never did touch the floor. She looked pretty contented with it. 

And here I am now, lying down the waterbed in my room, not sleeping. I would want to sleep, because tomorrow is the Games, but my eyes wouldn't flutter shut. Thoughts kept on coming, and not going away. Thoughts of me. Thoughts about my grandma. Thooughts about District Eleven. Thoughts about Rue. They just kept coming in. I'm afraid of sleep, I can sense I'll get nightmares.

I come out of the room, into the living area. I plan on eating and watching the television. I glance over the clock. 3:00 am. 

The room is dim, someone is watching the television too. I see Rue's black hair, and the rapid rise and fall of her shoulders, her light whimpers and her wet hands tell me something's wrong.

"T-thresh?" Rue says, wiping her eyes and looks at me. I smile reassuringly. 

"Come on Rue, you got a seven, you have higher odds than half of the tributes. Don't cry." I reach for her shoulder to pat, but she hugs me. I enclose her in my arms. She's just a frail little girl. I have to protect her. 

"I miss home," she says. Her whimpers turns to sobs. I ignore my rumbling stomach, I let her cry.

"I miss home too. Guess what, you play in the games, survive, go home." I say. She smiles a bit, and she wipes her eyes. 

" I can feel the bears in your stomach Thresh, let's eat," she says, getting up and reaching for the table. She sits and eats an apple. I smile, knowing that she's a little better.

--

The heat waved against my skin. I'm being hoisted up the arena. I have come all the way here, and how it's going to start. The voice of the legendary Cladius Templesmith rings out the air

"Let the seventy-fourth annual Hunger Games begin!"

Our sixty-seconds has begun.

The arena is a vast earth, I see the tail of the Cornucopia. I see the woods in my left, a wheat field at my back. the lake is too far. Some tributes eye for the woods, more for the Cornucopia. 

I work up my strategy. I can't possibly run to the woods. It's too much crowded there. Run to the Cornucopia and?

The wheat field. No one's daring to go there, that's for sure. There are many perils that may lie there. But I'll risk. Who knows what lies there, good or bad. 

The gong rings, my legs take off reflexively, and my feet feel the hard earth.

~

Hey guys, hope you liked it :)

I don't know if I'll continue. Please let me know!

It's not a major story, I want to focus on my major one (Through a Fox's Eyes) , but the thought kept bugging me until last night. I tried to write it and it turned out smooth. And I don't seem to see a Hunger Games in Thresh's POV :))

I have a few things in my mind also, for the continuation, so please let me know if the things I wrote click :D

 THANKYOU :DDDD